As soon as Caroline Girvan posted this workout I had to re-arrange my rotation to squeeze it in. I used it as a finisher after a tough upper body workout. So, between the two workouts, I got a total body workout. 20 Min Glutes & Hamstrings Workout with Dumbbells | No Repeat is one of Caroline’s short but tough glute and hamstring focused workouts. I love these workouts because I am getting real results from them. Caroline packs a lot into this workout. As already mentioned, I did not come to this workout fresh. Caroline’s Unstoppable Upper Body had already kicked my a$$ and this finisher literally finished me off. It probably would have felt different had I done this workout first. Either way, this did a great job working and burning out my glutes and hamstrings. Another great lower body finisher.
This workout is done interval style: each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by 20 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage. Caroline gives a lot of excellent form pointers about deadlifts during the intro.
20 Min Glutes & Hamstrings Workout with Dumbbells | No Repeat is 24:24 minutes; 1:40 minute intro, no warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, yoga block and fitness mat. Caroline is using 15kg/33 pound and 25kg/55 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- 1.5 rep sumo squat (lower to bottom of squat, raise halfway, lower to bottom of squat, raise all the way) (one 50# DB)
- Sumo stance RDL (deadlift with legs wide and toes turned out) (one 50# DB)
- Forward leaning static lunge (stationary lunge, torso is hinged forward over front thigh) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #3 on other side of body
- 1/2 rep staggered RDL (single leg deadlift, lower to bottom of deadlift but only raise halfway) (one 30# DB)
- Single leg hamstring hold (lay on back, one leg is extended with knee slightly bent, heel in the mat, other leg is raised, one DB is on hips, raise hips and hold isometrically entire interval) (one 30# DB)
- Repeat #5 & 6 on other side of body
- Sumo squat hold (lower to bottom of squat and hold until you hear beep, rise and lower again) (on e 50# DB)
- Lean lunge to hand touch (no DBs) (lower to bottom of lunge–this is your starting position, hinge torso forward, raising back leg and touching hands to floor, return to lunge)
- RDL hold w/ glute squeeze (balance on one leg, other leg is raised behind you with knee bent, pulse sole of foot up to ceiling)
- Repeat #9 & 10 on other side of body
- Sumo squat deadlift pulses x5 reps (in sumo position, hinge forward, lower to sumo deadlift and pulse at bottom 5x) (one 50# DB)
- Good mornings (hold one DB in both hands at chest, hinge forward deadlift style) (one 30# DB)
- Paused RDL (hold briefly at bottom of deadlift) (35# DBs)
- Hamstring hold with DB (lay on back, both legs are extended with knees slightly bent, heels in the mat, one DB is on hips, raise hips and hold isometrically entire interval) (one 30# DB)
- 1.5 rep RDL (lower to bottom of deadlift, raise halfway, lower to bottom of deadlift, raise all the way) (35# DBs)
Finisher: 1/2 rep sumo deadlift squats (40 seconds) (lower to bottom of deadlift but only raise halfway) (one 50# DB)