Kickboxing Cardio Abs is one of the free YouTube workouts by Jessica Smith that was recommended to me and I really enjoyed it. Not the most intense workout I’ve ever done, but it was a solid, intermediate level workout and it was a lot of fun. I also discovered during this workout that Jessica’s French Bully Peanut is a girl! I thought she was a boy. But she sure is a cutie! She wandered away during this workout so we didn’t get a full 30 minutes of Peanut. The first 3rd of the workout is cardio boxing. Though “kick” is in the title, there are no kicks. There are lots of knees tho. I wore 2 pound weighted gloves and I got a great workout. Like I said, not the most intense, but it was fun and intense enough. I have been doing Barlates Sweat Series workouts for my doubles all week, so I needed something a little lower key. This was perfect. Time well spent. The cardio boxing is made up of simple boxing combos separated by cardio blasts. I really enjoyed the core work, too, which is the last 3rd of the workout. There is some standing abs that you need a chair for and the rest is on a mat. The music was great, too. Jessica said it was tribal music. Very appropriate for cardio boxing.
Kickboxing Cardio Abs is 28 minutes long; warm up is 3:30 minutes, 8 minutes of core work and 1 minute cool down/stretch. The first 18:30 minutes is cardio boxing. She cools you down for another 30 seconds then you go into standing abs. You need a chair or wall for balance. I also used weighted gloves and a fitness mat.
- Back kick w/ side knee (working obliques) (bring knee around to side toward elbow then kick it out behind you)
- Side to side crunch: in horse stance, shift torso side to side bringing elbow to knee; changes to rotate torso/elbows; ends w/ more of the horse stance move
- Repeat #1 on other leg
- Repeat #2
- Get into crab on floor, lower hips to floor while bringing one knee into chest then press hips up while kicking leg out
- In modified side elbow plank (bottom knee on floor) w/ top arm in guard, raise and lower hips while bringing top knee into top elbow then pushing back out
- Full bent knee sit up w/ cross punches
- Repeat 5 & 6 on other side of body
- Repeat #7
For more info on JessicaSmithTV and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
3 thoughts on “JessicaSmithTV: Kickboxing Cardio Abs”
I’m so glad you enjoyed it. She explains in her kickboxing ballet video that she doesn’t do fast kicks because of an injury. I took it easy this week to try and get back into things, and I stuck with Jessica all week. Her kickboxing ballet is a fun, low impact video.
I have her kickboxing ballet workout on one of my “To Do” playlists. I am really loving Jessica’s workouts. I ordered one of her DVDs that has been on my wishlist for a long time: Boost Metabolism and Muscle.