Pump, Jump n’ Jab is a pink Firm. It is led by trainer Kelsie Daniels. It is not part of the original CardioWeight system but since it uses the CardioWeights it must have been an add on (I don’t remember; the Firm used to be an autobuy for me). There is a lot to love about this workout. I love kickboxing, and when someone creates a cardio + strength circuit workout that alternates kickboxing with strength training–I am in heaven. I cannot believe I forgot about this workout. Kelsie is one of my favorite trainers and she does an excellent job in this workout. I actually found the strength training more intense than the kickboxing! But it was an overall intense workout for me. According to my FitBit I burned 400 calories in 46 minutes (I did the Bonus, too) and I was in my peak heart rate zone 40% of the time. I wore weighted gloves for the entire workout and used heavier weights than what Kelsie and crew were using. They were using the CardioWeights and stuck with their heavier pair for the entire workout which were 5 pound dumbbells. I used 5-18 pound dumbbells.
I have to note that some of these Firm workouts that I am returning to (like this one) seem high intermediate to me (with heavy enough dumbbells). I don’t know that I am a good judge of that at this point, having not really done an advanced workout in 6+ months, but judging from the Firm workouts I have been doing for the past few months, this one is definitely one of their more advanced offerings. And I loved it! I was working hard throughout. Another bonus is that Kelsie stretches you out very nicely at the end. That is something I have noticed about Kelsie’s workouts. IMHO she does a better job stretching you out after a workout than most Firm trainers.
This workout also contains a bonus: Hit Every Muscle in 5 Minutes. And that is exactly what it does. It is actually closer to 6 minutes but Kelsie packs a lot into just 5:45 minutes. I did it before starting the main workout and it really warmed me up! The bonus is broken down below the the main workout.
And as always, Kelsie looks amazing–muscular arms and shoulders, and so beautiful. And she leads her workouts with such warmth and encouragement. And just like in Kelsie’s 500 Calorie Workout, I did not recognize any of Kelsie’s background exercisers (though they may be the same ones from that workout).
Everything in this workout is kickboxing inspired–the warm up and even the strength training has a few kickboxing inspired moves. And of course the cardio circuits are pure kickboxing.
Pump, Jump n’ Jab is 41:30 minutes long; 45 second intro, 5 minute warm up and 4:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. I also wore weighted gloves. It looked like Kelsie and crew used 5 pound dumbbells for everything. There is also a beginner modifier and she did not use any weights.
- Squats; add hammer curl; add a front kick (10# DBs)
- 4 count front lunge; add a back kick (lunge forward, back kick, drop back into lunge then stand); add 2 more back kicks (3 total) (10# DBs)
- Deadrow; add stepping to side w/ each deadrow, alternate sides; add 2 more deadrows (3 total) (18# DBs)
- In horse stance, alternating scooping DBs forward; add a pivot to the side w/ each scoop, alternate sides (10# DBs)
- Repeat 1 & 2 on other side of body
- Push ups w/ a punch under/across body
Circuit 2: kickboxing
- 4 count reverse lunges; add bicep curl + overhead press; add a glute lift; add 2 more glute lifts (3 total) (10# DBs)
- Crescent knee + squat holding DBs at shoulders; add knee raise, twisting opposite elbow to knee; elbow to knee changes to rowing/woodchopping both DBs to side (7# DBs)
- Narrow squats; add kicking one leg behind you after each squat; add single arm tricep kickback (7# DBs)
- Repeat 1-3 on other side of body
Circuit 4: kickboxing
- Side lunge; add double arm tricep kickback when lunging; add raising knee out to side of body hydrant style (ankle and knee @ same level); knee raise changes to roundhouse kick (7# DBs)
- In stationary side lunge, hold both DBs in one hand and do a single arm back row; add raising and lowering in stationary lunge while rowing (one 18# DB)
- 4 count curtsy lunge; add bent arm side raises; add knee lift at top of lunge; balance on one leg and do bent arm side raises (5# DBs)
- Bob and weave holding DBs together in front of you
- Repeat 1-4 on other side of body
- Push up + pull one knee into chest, alternate legs; changes to pulling knee under body toward opposite elbow; changes to pulling knee to same side elbow on outside of body; no more push ups just hold in high plank while alternating bringing knees to same side elbows outside of body
- Lay on back, hands behind head, knees raised and feet off floor, do a full crunch
- Start laying on back, knees bent and feet on floor and hands behind head, crunch upper body, extend both arms straight in front of you, do a reverse crunch, lower feet both to floor and put hands behind head again
- Bicycle maneuver w/ legs only; lift upper body and punch toward opposite knee
- Reverse crunches; add upper body (full crunch)
Bonus: Hit Every Muscle in 5 Minutes is 5:45 minutes; 45 second stretch. Kelsie leads this bonus all by herself–no background exercisers. This is an excellent little metabolic strength bonus. I did it before the main workout, but that is because I was aware of the great stretch at the end of the main workout and wanted to end my workout with that. This little bonus will definitely warm you up while hitting every muscle in your body! Equipment: dumbbells. The dumbbells listed below are what I used. #1-3 below are actually the warm up.
- Alternating knee lifts with front cross punches
- Squat and round back
- Alternating 4 count side lunge; add a pivot into lunge (side lunge, pivot into regular lunge facing side, pivot back to side lunge); add lowering into plank when in regular lunge, do 4 push ups, return to lunge and pivot back to side lunge, continue alternating sides
- 4 count reverse lunges; add bicep curl to overhead press; add glute lift when doing overhead press (10# DBs)
- Forward lunge, double arm back row while in lunge (15# DBs)
- Hold DBs at chest and alternate tapping feet out to side; add alternating tricep kickbacks out to side (7# DBs)
- Repeat 5 & 6 on other side of body
- Repeat # 7