20 Minute Deep Stretch Yoga for Neck & Shoulders is exactly what the title implies, deep stretching for your neck and shoulders using a bolster. As I’ve mentioned in another SaraBethYoga review, I bought a bolster for other reasons that did not work out for me, so I searched for “bolster yoga” on YouTube so I could find a way to use my bolster. That is how I discovered SaraBethYoga. She has a lot of practices I plan to try. Between SaraBethYoga and Yoga Ranger, there are lots of restorative and Yin Yoga practices I can do using my bolster. Anyway, this one is pretty gentle, which I need because of recent shoulder surgery. I was not able to do a full eagle arm pose with my left arm but Sara offers a modified version that felt nice. Other than that, this was a gentle and relaxing practice that stretched out both my neck and shoulders nicely.
20 Minute Deep Stretch Yoga for Neck & Shoulders uses a bolster and a fitness mat. Optional for tight hamstrings: folded blanket.
- Sit on bolster with legs crossed and hands on knees and take deep breaths; drop chin to chest and continue taking deep breaths; slowly arch neck back then round spine, dropping chin to chest again, continue flowing between these two positions (a sort of seated cat/cow)
- Still sitting cross-leg on bolster, clasp hands behind back and lift them behind you, expanding chest; bring clasped hands around to one side of waist and hold while also tilting head in the same direction, stretching neck
- Still sitting cross-leg on bolster, do a spinal twist with one hand on knee and other on mat behind you
- Still sitting cross-leg on bolster, do neck circles
- Sit on mat with legs extended in front of you and bolster under knees, do eagle arm pose in this position; hinge forward over legs so arms (still in eagle arm pose) rest on bolster between legs
- Place hands on mat behind you, feet on ground and knees bent, lift torso into reverse table top
- Repeat #5 with arm position reversed
- Repeat #6
- Child’s pose with bolster between thighs, arms on mat on either side of bolster and head resting on bolster
- With legs together and bent, one hip on floor and bottom thigh against the short edge of the bolster, torso/head lies on top of bolster and arms are on floor on either side of the bolster
- Repeat #10 on other side of body