My back is still keeping me from working out so I decided to try another one of Sara Beth‘s yoga routines for back pain. Yesterday I did her 30 Minute Yoga for Low Back Pain and it was great–gentle and it felt good. This morning I did her 30 Minute Yoga for Sciatica and Low Back Pain. I hesitate to say this is aggressive because it is not. However, if you are in pain, it is more aggressive than 30 Minute Yoga for Low Back Pain. This routine includes at least one move that hurt so I stopped doing it (3 leg down dog–my low back said h@ll no when I tried to do that). She also moves faster between exercises. In 30 Minute Yoga for Low Back Pain she changed positions slowly–which is vital when you are in pain. Fast movement will just cause spasms. I actually missed at least one transition move because she moves too quickly. And it even appears as if she was aware of this because it looked (to me at least) as if she slowed down the speed of some of the moves (technically, I mean, the video speed seemed to have been slowed in some areas). With the criticisms out of the way, this did include some feel good, deep stretches for my low back. Though in the future, when I am in pain, I will stick with Sara’s 30 Minute Yoga for Low Back Pain. It is more appropriate when you are hurting.
All that you need for 30 Minute Yoga for Sciatica and Low Back Pain is a fitness mat and some wall space nearby. Sara does not use any props, but I needed a yoga block for at least one move due to pain. I will indicate below where I needed it.
- Child’s pose
- From high kneeling, extend one leg out straight to side, do a side bend toward that leg; place other hand on mat (I need a yoga block for this move) and side bend in the opposite direction, reaching arm over to that side
- In same position as #3, walk hands forward so you are in a sort of tabletop, leg is still extended straight out to side, raise arm to ceiling as torso rotates toward extended leg, keep reaching arm back, opening chest and rotating spine; take arm the that is raised to ceiling and thread it under body so you are in a modified thread the needle pose
- Repeat #3 & 4 on other side of body
- Downward facing dog, pedaling the feet
- Lift one leg into 3 legged dog then step that foot forward so you are in a deep lunge, lowering back knee to mat; rotate torso toward front leg and push hand against knee, opening hip wider
- Shift hips back, straightening front leg so you are in half splits pose
- Repeat #6
- Repeat #7 & 8 on other side of body
- Repeat #6
- Raise leg into 3 legged dog then bring leg through to pigeon pose
- Seated spinal twist (sit on bottom, one leg extended straight, other knee bent with foot on mat, rotate torso toward bent leg, using one hand on mat and other on knee to deepen the stretch)
- Repeat #12 & 13 on other side of body
- Butterfly pose
- Lay on back with bottom against wall and legs extended up against wall, legs are together
- Still in same position as #16, cross one ankle over opposite knee and drag foot down wall so you are in a version of figure 4 pose
- Repeat #17 on other side of body
- Still in same position as #16 with both legs extended straight, open legs wide in a V
- Still in same position, bring soles of feet together so you are in a reclining butterfly with edges of feet against the wall
For more info on SaraBethYoga and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “SaraBethYoga: 30 Minute Yoga for Sciatica and Low Back Pain (All Levels)”
Happy Tuesday to you! I’m sorry your back continues to bother you. I sure hope it gets better soon!!
Today I did Heathers H2.0 Day 34 no repeats cardio/abs/booty as my main workout. It totally checked my list in terms of duration and exercise choice. Very enjoyable to do all around. ☺️ I followed it up with Caroline’s 10 min isometric upper body. I’m happy that I was able to do the full handstand at the end but I wasn’t so brave as to do the handstand dip after that because I wasn’t sure I could hold it and that’s not an exercise that I wanted to risk failure so I just did a bent arm pike which is what she suggested at the beginning as a substitute exercise.
Sending healing vibes your way!! ❤️🩹☺️💕
LikeLiked by 2 people