***Standing Abs is part of Linda Wooldridge‘s 5 Best Exercise Series. This review will eventually be double posted. It is available for free on YouTube (this review) but it is also part of Linda’s 5 Best Exercise Series DVD which contains 11 mini workouts. I am using the DVD version but I am also posting individual reviews of the workouts so others can also enjoy them on YouTube. The DVD review will post eventually, tho. However, Linda has also created a 5 Best Exercises playlist on YouTube that includes every one of the workouts on the DVD.***
Standing Abs is 9 Minutes long. All that’s needed is a light set of hand weights. Linda uses 1kg (2 pound) handweights. I started with 3 pound handweights, but by the second exercise I grabbed my 2 pound handweights. I went back to the 3 pound handweights for exercise #6 below. So in the future, I will use 2 pounds for #1-5 and 3 pounds for #6. This little workout is made up of 5 exercises; each exercise is done for one minute. If the exercise focuses on one side of the body then you work each side for a full minute. The hand weights are used for every exercise. I love standing and weighted core work, so I was looking forward to this one. It isn’t terribly tough–sometimes I felt it more in my arms than anywhere else. It has a cardio element to it, too. It would work very nicely in conjunction with her other 5 Best exercise workouts–maybe the mat abs or upper body ones. Or even to finish off a cardio workout (like a working cool down). I used it this morning as a finisher after Cathe Live: ICE Chiseled Upper & Lower Body Blast. It was a perfect finisher for that workout, rounding out my hour perfectly.
- Torso Twist (cross punches @ shoulder height, twisting across body while keeping hips straight)
- Ribcage Shift (shift ribs side to side, arms held straight out to side and bend arms in to shoulder w/ each shift)
- Knee Pulls (stay on one side, arms raised overhead and pull arms down w/ each knee raise/pull)
- Straight Leg & Arm Crunches (raise both arms straight overhead, raise one leg out straight to side while lowering same side arm to meet it)
- Repeat 3 & 4 on other side of body
- Upper Cuts
For more info on Barlates and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “Barlates: 5 Best Standing Ab Exercises”