I had not planned to do another new-to-me Cathe Live before I started my 6 week Cathe heavy weight rotation (later this month) but then she created another PHA workout. So I decided I needed to do one more. And I am glad I did! #314 PHA Supersets is another excellent PHA workout!
Before I go any further, here is the PHA definition I add to all PHA workouts I review. PHA stands for Peripheral Heart Action. What this means in training terms is you alternate between upper and lower body resistance exercises, allowing as little rest as possible between each movement. The lack of rest and recovery keeps your heart rate up for cardiovascular and fat burning benefits, while switching between upper and lower body exercises maximizes blood flow to all parts of the body and reduces build up of lactic acid. What this generally translates to, when done properly, is a total body metabolic strength workout with a high calorie burn.
This workout was definitely an intense metabolic burn. You will noticed the dumbbell weights are all over the place. Sometimes heavy, sometimes lighter. Some of the exercises are done at such a brisk pace that lighter dumbbells are appropriate. I know I was working hard. This is a total body strength workout. Since this workout is only 42:30 minutes I added on one of Cathe‘s extended stretches to finish off my workout and round out my hour. I burned a total of 330 calories–obviously the vast majority of that was during this workout. I was even in my peak heart rate zone a total of 9 minutes. Excellent and intense strength workout!
#314 PHA Supersets is 42:30 minutes; 4:30 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. You use 5 pound hand weights for the warm up. In fact, when the workout opens, Cathe is standing there holding the 5 pound dumbbells. Equipment: dumbbells, fitness loops and fitness mat.
- Step out Arnold press (10# DBs)
- Step out bicep curls (10# DBs)
- Pick up lunges (alternating side lunges, setting DBs on floor when lunging then picking them up when lunging again) (10# DBs)
- Marching sumo squat (one 15# DB)
- Overhead tricep extensions (12# DBs)
- Cross-over push ups (start in plank, step one hand out to side and do a push up, alternate sides)
- Alternating rear lunges (12# DBs the first circuit and 15# the second circuit)
- Place fitness loop around ankles, front leg raises
- Repeat #1-8
- Front swing into pull down (stand with legs wide, holding DBs together, swing them down between thighs as you squat then raise DBs overhead when you stand and open arms into goal post) (10# DBs)
- Single arm row (one 30# DB)
- 3 wide hop squats + one rear lunge, alternate legs when lunging (Cathe is using one 10# DB; I used one 15# DB)
- Place fitness loop around ankles, step side to side; add traveling forward and back
- Step out W curls (Cathe is using 12# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Tripod tricep kickbacks (single arm tricep kickback while in plank) (Cathe is using one 12# DB the first circuit and one 10# the second circuit; I used one 10# DB both circuits)
- Pick up squats (stand with legs wide with a DB on floor between legs, squat and pick up DB with one hand, stand, squat again and place DB on floor, then pick it up with other hand and stand) (one 40# DB)
- Deadlifts (30# DBs)
- Repeat #1-8