20 Minute Deep Stretch Yoga for Hamstrings is a deep and relaxing stretch done yin yoga style–you hold each pose/stretch for a long time. Today is Sunday, my yoga/mobility day. I warmed up by doing a Mark Lauren mobility workout and finished with this. This stretched my legs out very nicely. My only problem is, I am not as flexible as Sara, so I could not get my bolster in a position so I could fully relax like she did in some of the poses. See the featured picture. For that pose (#6 below), I had my hands clasped on top of my bolster and my forehead rested on that–I could not get my bolster in a position where I could place my forehead on it. For #8, I had to really manipulate my bolster to be able to rest my forehead on it. But she does tell you to get your bolster in whatever position you need to relax into the pose. I’m just clearly less flexible than she is. However, you hold each position long enough that you do have time get your bolster positioned correctly and relax into the stretch. It still felt good and stretched me out nicely.
Equipment: bolster, yoga strap, yoga mat and optional folded up blanket. Smaller videos appear in the upper right hand corner of the screen, showing ways to use the blanket.
- Start laying on your back, knees bent and pulled into chest, hands grasping calves, rocking gently side to side; stop rocking and just hold this position
- Place one foot on ground and loop strap around the bottom of the other foot, extend foot straight to ceiling, hold strap together in both hands and pull straight leg toward you; extend other leg straight on the mat to deepen the stretch; open leg out to side to stretch your inner thigh, leg can rest on bolster beside you; raise leg back to ceiling and pull it close to you using strap
- Repeat #2 on other leg
- Repeat #1; start rocking forward and back, massaging spine; rock yourself up to sitting
- Sit cross-leg on mat, hands holding knees, arch and round spine (seated cat/cow)
- Sit in straddle stretch and place bolster on floor in front of you between thighs, hinge forward over the bolster, arms or head/chest resting on bolster
- Lean back on mat, resting on forearms, knees are bent and feet on mat, windshield wiper legs side to side
- Sit on blanket (if using one) with legs together and extended straight in front of you, place bolster on thighs, fold forward over bolster, forehead resting on bolster
- Lay on back again, knees bent and pulled into chest, hands on knees, rotate hips in a circle
- Still on back, knees bent and feet on mat, raise hips into bridge and clasp hands underneath body for chest expansion
- Happy baby pose