Since I need to stick with low impact cardio for a while, I decided to check out some of Jessica Smith‘s free YouTube HIIT for Beginner workouts. I did get a better cardio workout from this than I did from her 1 Mile Belly, Buns & Thighs Walk. It isn’t super intense–at least when done entirely low impact–but still a good cardio workout. After the warm up the structure of the workout is 2 minutes of steady state cardio (5-6 intensity effort) + 1 minute interval (7-8 intensity effort). If you are a true beginner this might be a HIIT level workout for you but it wasn’t for me. For the 1 minute interval Jessica shows both low and high impact versions. I did the low impact versions. Even tho I didn’t find this intense, it was still a good cardio workout and I enjoyed it. Peanut kept us company during the warm up but ran away when the actual workout started.
HIIT for Beginners: Cardio Intervals is 21:30 minutes; 5 minute warm up and 3:30 minute cool down/stretch.
- Wide side to side steps; changes to cross kick in front; changes to march while pushing arms overhead
- Interval: jog in place (or high knees) while traveling forward and back
- Side to side steps; changes to march in place w/ jump rope arms; changes to heel digs w/ jump rope arms; alternate tapping toes to side
- Interval: jumping jacks moving forward and back (or low impact jacks)
- Tap step forward and back; changes to step w/ knee lift; changes to marching forward and back
- Interval: knee pulls
- Repeat 5 & 6 on other side of body