Stretch and Release is part of AngieFitnessTV‘s 15 Minutes to Fit Series. Most of the 15 Minutes to Fit workouts are longer than 15 minutes because they were designed as finishers to add onto the end of another workout, so she includes a 2-3 minute stretch at the end of the workouts. This one actually is 15 minutes but that is because it is an extended stretch so no cool down/stretch is needed. This is an excellent total body extended stretch. It is done both standing and sitting on the mat. A wonderful addition to round out any workout and to work on your much needed flexibility. I have been neglecting mine for the past few months but I have recently begun trying to incorporate it back into my rotations more frequently.
One of Angie’s cats made an appearance during this workout. He was crazy affectionate during this stretch! His name is Mr. Jinx and he was 14 years old when this workout was filmed. And he is super cute. He wanted some love from Angie and at the end, when she was standing, he remained in the camera shot grooming himself. What a cutie! I always love it when trainers’ animals joint the workouts.
Stretch and Release is 15:24 minutes. Equipment: fitness mat.
- Slowly shift side to side in stationary side lunges; keep one leg straight, other leg bent, opposite hand is on bent leg’s foot and the other arm is extended to ceiling; continue alternating sides and holding this stretch on each side
- Deep plie squat stretch
- Forward fold, hands holding elbows
- Roll up from #3 (hands still holding elbows) and rotate arms/torso in a circle, raising arms (still holding elbows) overhead at top; changes to rotating torso side to side (arms are still holding elbows); side lean, opening chest toward ceiling and gazing up at ceiling
- Alternating arm circles
- Clasp hands together behind back to open chest
- Clasp hands together in front of you and round forward, stretching the upper back and shoulders
- Alternate reaching arms overhead with side bends
- Calf stretch
- Sit on floor, straight legs open wide, reach hands to one foot; reach arms in front of you, hinging at hips
- Butterfly stretch
- In a sort of modified side plank (one hand on ground, knee on ground, top leg extended straight), reach top arm overhead, looking up to ceiling and opening chest to ceiling
- Kneeling lunge, reaching arms to ceiling
- Downward facing dog; peddle the heels
- Forward fold with hands clasped behind back, lifting arms as high as possible; place hands on thighs, bend and straighten knees
- Stand and do neck stretches
- Deep breathes, reaching arms overhead