Latin Spice Walk was another nice little steady state, low impact cardio walk from Jessica Smith. For a 31 minute workout, I spent 28 of those minutes in my cardio zone and burned 250 calories. Not a bad doubles workout! I really enjoyed it. We also get Jessica’s mom, Debbie, and Peanut in this workout. According to Jessica, she had to promise that this walk was low impact to get her mom to participate. Well, Jessica delivered. I think they are at Debbie’s house. Peanut hung out in front of the French doors through most of the workout. At one point Peanut even tried to scale the fireplace. She had a lot of energy!
For comparison’s sake (and also because I enjoy all of Jessica’s workouts, DVD or YouTube), I did her Latin Dance Walk from her 3 DVD Superset as my doubles workout yesterday. Here’s what’s weird. Latin Dance Walk felt more intense and was definitely higher impact (though Debbie is there as a low impact modifier) but I burned more calories today doing Latin Spice Walk.
Latin Spice Walk is 31 minutes; there doesn’t appear to be a warm up, but there is a 1 minute stretch. Between many of the moves you are marching in place while doing a circling arm movement and using your hips in the walk. In her DVD Latin Dance Walk she calls this a “spicy” walk. There are also dancy arm movements with the majority of the moves even if they are not mentioned in the breakdown.
- Alternating toe taps in front of you
- Alternating heel digs in front of you
- Alternate between 1 & 2, lowering the reps each time
- Walk forward and back; add reaching arms overhead when walking forward and lowering the arms when walking back
- Alternating heel digs out to the side; add pushing opposite arm across body with each heel dig
- Step forward and back and do a fast triple step (cha-cha-cha) to change legs; repeat but step out to side; repeat but step behind you
- Repeat #5
- Repeat #6 but start stepping back first, then to the side then to the front
- Stand stationary and alternate raising toes (alternating toe taps); add shoulder shimmies; add lowering torso down and then back up
- Alternating heel raises (keep toes on the ground; add twisting your knee across your other leg when raising a heel (makes the move dancy, or spicy as Jessica terms it)
- Repeat final part of #9
- Repeat #10
- Repeat #4
- Repeat #6
- Rotate in a circle while doing a spicy walk
- Double step to side while also doing a small pivot with balls of feet when stepping and using the hips
- Repeat #15 & 16
- While keeping all of the weight on one leg, tap other foot out to the side and raise the knee (remain on one side); add rotating in a circle as you do this (hard to do on carpet)
- March in place while doing speed bag arms
- V steps to the front; add quarter turns so you are V stepping to the front, then to the side, then to the back, then to the other side; she adds some punching arm movements
- Cross over step to the front + fast triple step (cha-cha-cha) to change legs; add “choo-choo” arms
- Do little partial squats with calf/heel raises; add pushing arms overhead
- Repeat #21 & 22 two more times
- Alternating front heel digs
- Alternating toe taps in front of you with knee cross over (dancy move)
- Repeat #24 & 25
- Double side steps; add pushing arms overhead/to side; add partial squats as you step
- Repeat #25
- Repeat #24 & 25
- Repeat #27
- Step tap side to side; add arcing arms in front of you from hip to hip; changes to arcing arms overhead hip to hip; alternate between the two arm movements, doing 4 reps of each
- Double step to side while also doing a small pivot with balls of feet when stepping and using the hips; changes to 4 singles (she does this in a pattern, 2 double side steps + 4 singles)
- Repeat #31 & 32 two more times
- Alternating front heel digs while pushing arms down in front/to side
- Step backwards then back to front
- Repeat #34 & 35
- Alternating cross kicks
- Repeat #35 & 37
- Repeat #9
- Alternating cross steps behind you; add opening and close arms
- March in place while alternating pushing arms overhead; changes to pressing arms back in a tricep kickback fashion
For more info on JessicaSmithTV and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “JessicaSmithTV: Latin Spice Walk”
Hello! I really appreciate all your reviews. Do you think you will ever do Cathe Live again?
Hi Michele! I’ve always planned to start doing Cathe Live again eventually, I just don’t know when. Cancer treatment reduced my fitness level to where even Cathe Live workouts were too much for me. I am back on top again but I don’t know when I will return to it. I have yet another impending surgery next month and after I recover from that my plan is to build myself back up for a few months so I can do another round of STS. After that, I may subscribe again.
So the short answers is–not any time soon! But eventually I plan to sign up again.