I saved this little workout to a playlist a long time ago then forgot about it. Then I did Betty Rocker‘s Cardio Barre and decided to give this one a try. I am all about strengthening my back. It is my absolute favorite muscle group to work and there really is nothing sexier than a strong, muscled back (in my opinion at least)–especially on a woman. How many people watch American Ninja Warrior? I do! And I love seeing the strong, muscled backs on some of those women. Megan Martin’s back and entire musculature is so impressive–she is one of my favorites. Anyway, I digress. The point is–I am all about working the back. So having a little back routine like this to add on to other workouts is a find. And this is a very nice little routine.
The full name for this free YouTube workout is Back Attack: Home Workout for your back and posterior chain. Though it is 15:40 minutes long the actual workout is about 11 minutes long. The trainer, Bree Argetsinger, actually talks about the importance of working your posterior chain for the first 2:30 minutes and talks some more at the end (another 2 minutes). She does give a lot of good information. But even better is the mini workout she provides. I used it in combination with two other workouts this morning. I warmed up with Jessica Smith‘s 20 Minute Fat Burning Cardio workout, worked my back for 11 minutes with Bree, then finish my workout with 40 minutes of yoga. All together, it was a lovely recovery day workout
Back Attack: Home Workout for your back and posterior chain is 15:40 minutes long; first 2:30 minutes is an intro talking about why you need to work your back and last 2 minutes is her talking more about working your back, so the actual workout is about 11 minutes long. You need at least one set of dumbbells for this workout (I used two sets, the weights I used are noted below in the breakdown) and a fitness mat.
- Upper Back Activator: lay on back, knees bent and arms on floor beside head in goal post, palms facing ceiling: slide arms overhead then slide back to start
- Upright Upper Back Activator: same as #1 but with back against wall (she does it in wall squat but you can stand or sit on something)
- Superman Lifts: lay on stomach with arms straight in front of you and legs straight, raise and lower legs and chest/shoulders/arms
- Swimmers: same position but alternate raising and lower legs and arms (like you are swimming)–chest is raised
- Renegade Rows: in straight arm plank, alternate rowing dumbbells (15# DBs)
- Superman Lift w/ Trap Activator: lay on stomach again and do #3 superman but this time bend elbows pulling arms back along side as you lift legs
- Dolphin Press: down dog push ups
- Reverse Flys: standing and hinged forward (8# DBs)
For more info on Betty Rocker and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
One thought on “Betty Rocker: Back Attack”