I am getting very frustrated with this illness. I can’t seem to shake this head cold and the Nyquil I am taking so I can sleep (and breathe) at night is kicking my butt. I love my morning workouts but the past few days I have been struggling through them thanks to the cold and the lingering effects if Nyquil in the morning. All that is to preface this review of Cardio Kickboxing, Triceps & Abs. It felt much harder than it should have. I have done most of Yvette Bachman‘s workouts so I know I should not have found this workout as difficult as I did, but I struggled through it. It makes me very unhappy because (for medical reasons) I will not be able to do workouts of this level for long while, so I am trying to cram in as many great workouts as I can before I can’t do them anymore. And I want to enjoy them!
Alright, tantrum over. This is one of Yvette’s long workouts (71 minutes). It is primarily a cardio kickboxing workout but the last 13 minutes is some tricep, lower body and core work. This is not an interval based workout so you are just doing one cardio exercise right after the other, with no breaks until more than halfway through the workout when Yvette gives you a water break. I do know from past experience that I find Yvette’s non-stop cardio workouts tough, but not as tough as I did this morning. I also know that had I been feeling 100% I would have really enjoyed this workout a lot more. It was made up of lots of fun cardio kickboxing combos. I am not going to break down the cardio portion. The cardio moves are familiar from Yvette’s other workouts. That’s not to say this identical to any of her other workouts, but she has a lot of workouts on YouTube and every one of them has a cardio component–so Yvette has hundreds of different cardio moves that she uses and I pretty much love them all. In the future I will probably use this as a cardio only workout. The cardio kickboxing ends at 54:30 minutes then I can scrub forward to the 1:30 minute stretch for a 56 minute workout.
Cardio Kickboxing, Triceps & Abs is 71 minutes long; 8:30 minute warm up; 46 minutes cardio kickboxing, 13:30 minutes of tricep/lower body work/core and 1:30 minute stretch. Equipment: resistance band, resistance loop, 8 or 10 pound dumbbells and one 25 pound dumbbell. Yvette is wearing weighted gloves and so did I. @ approx. 54:30 you stop cardio kickboxing and get out resistance band and loop, dumbbells and mat; this takes approx. 1:30 minutes. The breakdown below is for the final 13:30 minutes of the workout.
- One arm overhead tricep extensions w/ band (standing on one end); repeat on other arm
- Side step squats, 4 steps to each side (loop around ankles); ends w/ squat pulses
- Lower into a shallow squat and tap one leg out to side and back (loop still around ankles); repeat on other leg
- Plank w/ row into tricep kickback, alternate arms (8 or 10# DBs)
- Line taps (in squat, jump side to side, touching fingertips to floor) (loop around ankles)
- Punch to one side while tapping same side leg out to side (loop still around ankles)
- Straight arm jacks (loop still around ankles)
- Repeat #6 on other side of body
- Repeat #7
- Over head tricep extensions, 12-15 reps (one 25# DB)
- In crab w/ arms straight, alternate kicking legs up; tricep dips while still in crab
- Slow full sit up while doing cross punches and do speed bag arms on the way down
- One crunch + one full sit up
- Russian twists w/ straight arms and hands clasped
- In modified boat pose w/ palms together in front of you, alternate tapping one foot to floor while tapping same side hand to ground beside hip; hold modified boat w/ arms extended straight out to sides