Lower Body Sculpt II is part of The Firm’s Body Sculpting System 1 and is led by trainer Libby Heath. This is a lower body + abs workout. BSS1 has two 30 minute lower body workouts. This one and Lower Body Sculpt 1, which is a cardio + strength workout. This workout doesn’t have any squats, lunges or tall box climbs–that is all in Lower Body Sculpt 1. This workout focuses on seated and mat work. I am not sure I would do this workout by itself unless it was on a recovery/yoga day but by combining the two workouts like I did this morning, I got an excellent lower body workout. My hamstrings and glutes are still stinging. I started with Lower Body Sculpt 1 and finished with this workout.
Libby is frequently a background exerciser in a lot of Firm workouts but this is the only workout that I know of that she leads. She does a good job. I don’t know if I ever did this workout back in my Firm days. I honestly don’t remember much about it. But I think I must have because I do remember doing a work led by Libby. Unless there is another one I am blanking on.
This workout uses The Firm’s Fanny Lifter, a square step with two levels (6 inch and 8 inch) that fit together so that you also have a 14 inch high step. I no longer have my Fanny Lifter so I used my high/square step and it works perfectly.
Lower Body Sculpt II is 34 minutes; 1:30 minute intro, 5 minute warm up and 6 minute stretch. Equipment: Fanny Lifter (or a high step @ 14 inches) and dumbbells. I do not know the weight of the dumbbells Libby and crew were using. The weights listed below are what I used. There is a beginner modifier.
Circuit 1: Fanny Lifter @ 14 inches and dumbbells
- Sit on step and place one DB on top of one thigh near the knee, raise and lower leg; push heel out and in when raising and lowering leg (one 8# DB)
- Kneel behind step and lean torso over step, place DB behind thigh, raise and lower flexed foot (one 5# DB)
- Repeat #1 (same leg)
- Repeat 1-3 on other leg
Circuit 2: Fanny Lifter @ 14 inches, dumbbells and fitness mat (I used one 20 pound dumbbell for this entire circuit)
- Lay on mat w/ step @ at end of mat and feet straddling step, place DB(s) on hips, raise and lower hips; add pulses at top of hip raise; hold hips isometrically at top of hip raise
- Place heels on top of step, raise and lower hips; add pulses at top of hip raise; hold hips isometrically at top of hip raise
- Heels still on top of step, hands behind head, do basic crunches; twist elbow toward opposite knee (remove DB(s) from hips)
- Heels still on top of step, place DB(s) on hips again, lift and lower hips; lower one foot to floor while continuing to raise and lower hips; raise leg on floor to ceiling while continuing to raise and lower hips
- Still laying on back, hands behind head, legs raised and knees pulled in to chest, do reverse crunches; add upper body crunch
Circuit 3: fitness mat and dumbbells (I used one 8 pound dumbbell for this entire circuit)
- Lay on side, bottom leg bent and top leg straight, hold one DB on top of top thigh, raise and lower top leg; bend knee, bringing knee toward floor in front of you then shooting it out straight behind you; return to leg lifts
- Bend top leg and place foot on floor behind bottom leg, bottom leg is now straight, hold DB against inner thigh of bottom leg, raise and lower bottom leg; changes to sweeping bottom straight leg forward and back
- Repeat 1 & 2 on other leg
- Lay on back, knees bent and feet on floor, hands behind head, do basic crunches; lean both knees to same side and continue crunching