Lower Body Sculpt 1 is part of The Firm’s Body Sculpting System 1 and is led by trainer Lisa Kay. This is a great little lower body cardio + strength workout. I didn’t do this workout alone. BSS1 has two 30 minute lower body workouts. This one and Lower Body Sculpt 2 which has no cardio. It is a lower body + ab workout. They actually pair together very nicely. This workout has all of the squats, lunges and tall box climbs (plus cardio) and Lower Body Sculpt 2 works your legs through seated and mat work. You also get a more thorough lower body stretch with Lower Body Sculpt 2, so by combining the two you are working your lower body thoroughly.
However this one on it’s own is excellent. Use heavy enough dumbbells and you will burn your lower body muscles out nicely. The first cardio circuit is very lower body focused with lots of lunges and squats so you are continuing to work the lower body. I didn’t remember much about this workout from when I used to do the Firm regularly. I know Lisa was never one of my favorite Firm trainers but I didn’t dislike her. However, it seems like this one should have stood out in my memory more because it really is a solid workout.
This workout uses The Firm’s Fanny Lifter, a square step with two levels (6 inch and 8 inch) that fit together so that you also have a 14 inch high step. I no longer have my Fanny Lifter so I used my high/square step and it works perfectly.
Lower Body Sculpt 1 is 32:30 minutes long; 2 minute intro, 5:30 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: Fanny Lifter (or high step @ 14 inches) and dumbbells. Lisa and crew are using 3, 5 and 8 pound dumbbells. The dumbbells listed below are what I used. There is a beginner modifier. You need the Fanny Lifter at 8 inches for the warm up.
Circuit 1: Fanny Lifter @ 14 inches and dumbbells
- Plie squats; add pulses (18# DBs)
- Leg press (12# DBs)
- Squats in front of step; changes to hover then sit on step, raise up slightly, hover then stand (15# DBs)
- Leg press; single leg calf/heel raise; repeat leg press and calf raise (12# DBs)
- Repeat #4 on other leg
Circuit 2: Step cardio using 6 inch step (cardio is very lower body focused)
Circuit 3: Step @ 6 inches and dumbbells (I used 15# dumbbells for this entire circuit)
- Reverse lunges; add knee raise at top of lunge; add a pulse to the lunge
- Forward lunge w/ a pulse onto step; changes to forward lunges w/ out a pulse
- Step out squats
- Repeat 2 & 3 on other leg
- Repeat 2-4 two more times
- Repeat #1 on other leg
Circuit 4: cardio on the floor (no equipment)
Circuit 5: Fanny Lifter @ 14 inches and dumbbells
- Leg press; single leg calf/heel raise (12# DBs)
- Squats; add a pulse (18# DBs)
- Repeat #1 on other leg
- Reverse lunges; changes to curtsy lunges (15# DBs)