Low Impact Standing Abs Workout with Weights is another short but fun and effective workout from Heather Robertson. And I love standing weighted core work. This workout can be used as a finisher for another workout or you could stack several of her short workouts together. That is how I used this workout: as a doubles workout (my second workout of the day after I get home from work). I did Heather’s 5 Minute Warm Up followed by her Medicine Ball HIIT Workout then this workout and I finished it off with a 5 minute stretch from Bowflex. I got a great little workout. Not a huge calorie burner (200 calories in approx 30 minutes, according to my FitBit) but it was a nice way to get some mild cardio, conditioning and core work.
This workout is done interval style: each exercise is done for 30 seconds–but no recoveries, you move from one exercise to the next with no rest, so if you are using more than one set of dumbbells then have them set up nearby. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen, counting down your 30 second interval. When there is 5 seconds left, a rectangle appears in the upper right hand corner, previewing the next exercise.
Low Impact Standing Abs Workout with Weights is 9 minutes; no warm up or stretch. In Heather’s comments below the video she says she is using a set of 10 pound dumbbells; however, visually, those are not 10 pound dumbbells. Probably her 5 pound dumbbells. I used 5 and 8 pound dumbbells. What I used is what is listed below in the break down.
- Squat + Twist (hold DBs at shoulders, squat and at top, raise one knee and bring opposite elbow to knee, alternate sides with a squat between each knee raise) (8# DBs)
- Wood Chop (holding one DB in both hands, chop DB from outside of one thigh, to overhead/corner of the room on opposite side of body) (one 8# DB)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Oblique Crunch (hold one DB behind neck with elbows out to sides, raise one knee to side of body while crunching same side elbow toward knee, alternate sides) (one 8# DB)
- Knee Drive + Twist (in split stance, holding one DB in both hands, raise DB overhead then, using back leg, do a knee raise to the front while chopping DB down to hip) (one 5# DB)
- Repeat #5 on other side of body
- Russian Twist (holding one DB in both hands at waist level, twist torso/DB side to side, keeping hips facing forward) (one 8# DB)
- Knee Drive + Kick (holding one DB in both hands, raise DB overhead, do a knee raise while pulling DB down to top of thigh then do a straight leg kick while pulling DB down to top of thigh, alternate sides doing one knee drive and one kick on the same leg before changing legs) (one 8# DB)
- Repeat #1-8