Medicine Ball HIIT Workout is a fun little workout from Heather Robertson. I have a bunch of medicine balls that I don’t use nearly as much as I’d like to (like my kettlebells and bosu ball), so I get excited when my favorite trainers create workouts using my neglected equipment. This workout can be used as a finisher for another workout or you could stack several of her short workouts together. That is how I used this workout: as a doubles workout (my second workout of the day after I get home from work). I did Heather’s 5 Minute Warm Up, followed by this workout then her Low Impact Standing Abs Workout and finished it off with a 5 minute stretch from Bowflex. I got a great little workout. Not a huge calorie burner (200 calories in approx 30 minutes, according to my FitBit) but it was a nice way to get some mild cardio, total body conditioning and my core was worked.
For this workout you need at least one medicine ball. I have quite a few so I had them all lined up ready to go. I ended up using 3 of them: my 14, 10 and 8 pound balls. Heather is using her 12 pound ball for everything. This workout is made up of 6 different exercises done interval style: 30 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of recovery. This 6 exercise circuit is done 3 times. There is a counter in the lower right hand corner of the screen, counting down the intervals. During the 10 second recovery, the next exercise is previewed in the center of the screen with a huge count down clock over it, counting down your recovery.
Medicine Ball HIIT Workout is 12:30 minutes. Heather is using a 12 pound medicine ball. The ball weights listed below are what I used.
- Lunge + Twist (alternating reverse lunges, at bottom of lunge, twist torso/ball to side) (10# ball)
- Toe taps (place med ball on the ground in front of you and, with hands behind head, alternate tapping toes to ball while hopping each time)
- Dead Bug (lay on back with both legs raised off ground and knees bent, press ball against knees with one hand, extend one leg straight a few inches off floor and extend opposite hand/arm overhead a few inches off floor while holding ball against still bent knee with other hand, alternate sides) (8# ball)
- Wall Ball (face a wall, squat and as you stand toss ball high against the wall, catch ball and squat again) (10# ball)
- Ball Crunch (lay on back, knees bent and ball resting on shins and held in place by flexed feet, hands are behind head, do a full crunch, bringing elbows to knees) (8# ball)
- Ball Burpee (do a full burpee (tricep push up at bottom) while holding ball and raise ball overhead when standing) (14# ball)
- Repeat #1-6 two more times