Total Body Weight Workout is part of Linda Wooldridge‘s Quick Fix Series. It is free on YouTube but you can also purchase it on her Quick Fix Series DVD w/ 3 other workouts (one has already been reviewed here: Quick Fix Ballet Box). Linda also has this entire series saved into a YouTube Quick Fix playlist.
Total Body Weight Workout is exactly what the title indicates–a total body workout using only your body weight–no equipment. And it is a mat workout–so you are on the floor for the entire workout. And it is tough. Even though it is “total body” there are obviously muscles that aren’t worked. It’s hard to work every muscle in your body without some type of prop. Your back isn’t touched. The big upper body focus in this workout is triceps but your biceps and shoulders are worked with all the plank moves and they assist in the tricep exercises. Chest also assists. As for the lower body you are working quads, inner and outer thighs but not much glute or hamstring work. There is also core and hip flexor work. So not really total body. But don’t let that discourage you! It really is an excellent and tough workout that works the main muscles I indicate above (triceps, quads, inner & outer thighs, and core) really well. My legs were weak afterward. And the bonus–I think I can do this entire workout without shoes. I had shoes on the first time I did it, of course, but next time–I’m going to try it barefoot!
Total Body Weight Workout is 35:30 minutes long; approx 1 minute yoga warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Around the 7 minute mark, Linda says something that indicates that 1-4 is part of the warm up. I do not agree! So I am listing them as part of the workout–I was definitely working hard! No equipment needed.
- In straight arm plank, lift and lower one leg while pointing and flexing
- In straight arm plank, lift straight leg to outside of mat and tap then return to start
- Partial tricep push ups on knees
- Full tricep push ups
- Lay on side, torso propped on elbow; side leg raises, point as you lift, flex as you lower; changes to raise leg and tapping floor in front of you then raising leg and tapping floor behind you; changes to drawing to along inside of bottom left then straightening to ceiling and lowering until feet touch; reverse the last motion; changes to raising and lowering top leg while also raising and lowering arm to leg, tapping elbow to top of thigh (working obliques); repeat everything on other leg
- In reverse table top (crab), step feet out to reverse plank (legs straight) then step back into crab
- One leg tricep dips
- While in crab, bicycle one leg
- Sit on bottom with one leg extended to side and other leg bent so heel is at crotch, lean back on hands and raise and lower extended leg; bend leg, so inner thigh facing the ceiling and keep raising and lowering
- In same starting position as #9, this time raise and extend bent leg then lower leg and bend, bringing foot back to start (heel at crotch); touch hands in front of chest, elbows out to side, lift bent knee while rotating torso and tapping elbow to opposite (bent and raised) knee
- Repeat 9 & 10 on other side of body