Total Body Toning is a metabolic strength training workout from Jessica Smith and with the right weights it is intense! What an excellent metabolic strength workout! It got my heart rate into the cardio zone and worked my entire body very well. I was sweating and working very hard. Jessica uses a set of 10 pound dumbbells for everything. Had I used just 10 pound dumbbells this would have been a very different workout for me. My dumbbells were much heavier and more appropriate to my strength level and I got an awesome workout. She hits every muscle group in this workout. I paired it with her Strength Training for Women workout and got an intense and incredible hour long (a little less actually–57 minutes) total body metabolic strength workout. This is an excellent pairing btw and one I will definitely be returning to in the future.
This is a circuit workout where one exercise flows into the next w/ no breaks. This obviously causes problems with changing dumbbells. My fix is to have my weight chart right next to my dumbbells. I still sometimes missed the first rep of an exercise while I was swapping dumbbells but trust me, this did not effect the quality of my workout at all. It is now nearly 3 hours since I finished the two workouts (done back to back) and my muscles are still burning in a very pleasant way (that might not be so pleasant tomorrow….).
Total Body Toning is 27 minutes long; 3:30 minute warm up and 2 minute stretch. Equipment needed: various dumbbells. Jessica uses only 10 pound dumbbells; the weights listed below are what I used. This workout consists of 4 supersets and each one is repeated 3 times.
- Squat w/ overhead press (12# DBs)
- Deadlift (30# DBs)
- Repeat 1 & 2 two more times
- Rear lunge w/ front raise (one 12# DB)
- One arm row w/ stationary lunge (one 25# DB)
- Repeat 4 & 5 two more times
- Hammer curls w/ alternating side leg raises (15# DBs)
- Hinge at waist and raise straight arms behind you then bend elbows and do tricep kickback (alternate straight arm rear lift and tricep kickback) (10# DBs)
- Repeat 7 & 8 two more times
- Chest press w/ bicycle legs (20# DBs)
- In straight arm plank, bring knee to same side elbow (outside of body)
- Repeat 10 & 11 two more times