TransFIRM Your Body is one of the pink Firms and is led by Allie Del Rio. It uses the Fanny Lifter–but it is not one of the early Body Sculpting System workouts. In fact, it’s not even one of the earlier pink Firms. This is one that the Firm created later. And they don’t call it a Fanny Lifter either–in this workout it is a “Body Trainer” but it is the exact same thing as the Fanny Lifter. I never did this workout. In fact, I think it was the last Firm workout I purchased (until recently when I bought the Zip Trainer). By the time this one came out I had moved on–ChaLean Extreme, Bob Harper, TurboFire, Insanity–in fact, I had just discovered Cathe when this workout came out. I bought it out of curiosity because I still had my Fanny Lifter at the time.
And now I am finally doing it. (As an aside–Allie looks gorgeous!) This is a cardio workout done Firm circuit style. The circuits are step cardio plus more metabolic work using the step @ 14 inches and light dumbbells. I really enjoyed this workout. It is low impact and there is a beginner modifier. This has one circuit that uses the Fanny Lifter/Body Trainer in a way that is not easily duplicated–you used both parts of the step at the same time (Circuit 6). You have them both next to each other with about 2 feet between them. I used my Firm Box at 6 inches and my high step at 8 inches. It worked! I had no problem with any of the choreography in this workout except Circuit 6. I did get mixed up a few times. The first part is easy to follow but then at the end Allie does a combo using both steps that I had a problem catching on to. BTW–the beginner modifier only uses one step, so if you can’t duplicate the set up with another step like I did then just follow the modifier.
The actual cardio is about 35 minutes and the workout ends with core work using the Fanny Lifter/Body Trainer. I really enjoyed this workout and I’m glad I got it when I did. It is not even available used on Amazon right now. But I know from experience that if you want it, just stick it on a wishlist. Someone will sell it used eventually. Total Fitness DVDs actually has a new copy available.
TransFIRM Your Body is 43:30 minutes; 1 minute intro, 6 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: Fanny Lift or high step w/ 5 risers (it will be used at 6, 8 and 14 inches) and light dumbbells. I used 5 pound dumbbells for everything but since there are no upper body moves with Circuit 1 I will use heavier weights in the future to work my legs a little better. The workout starts with the 6 inch portion of the Fanny Lifter for the warm up.
Circuit 1: step @ 14 inches and dumbbells (no arm movements, you are just holding the dumbbells at your side)
- Leg press (lots); changes to alternating leg press
Circuit 2: step cardio on step @ 8 inches
Circuit 3: step @ 8 inches and dumbbells
- Start standing on step and squat to side off step (one foot remains on step); add one arm overhead press; narrow squat w/ both feet on step, DBs at shoulders; add double arm overhead press; side squat off step to other side
- Alternate quick/shallow reverse lunges off step; add fast back rows (Allie calls them rhomboid pinch)
- Deeper reverse lunge off step w/ pulse; add bent arm side raises; pulse changes to glute lift
- Alternate lifting straight legs to side; add tricep kickbacks to side
- Straddle step on and off step; add hammer curls
- Repeat #4 then #5
- Repeat 1-6
Circuit 4: step cardio on step @ 8 inches
Circuit 5: step @ 8 inches and dumbbells
- Forward lunge w/ a pulse onto step; add bicep curl to overhead press
- Alternating side lunges on floor; add single arm back row to same side as lunging
- Low jacks; add alternating tricep kickbacks to side; changes to tap and side kick
- Step on step w/ inner thigh lift, alternate sides; add alternating bicep curls
- Repeat 1-4
Circuit 6: step cardio using both parts of step–6 inch to one side and 8 inch to other side. about 2 feet of space between them. This consists of lots of squats w/ one foot on step, stepping over the steps and cardio side lunges on step. This is the one that ends with a combo using both that steps that I had problems following. But the first part is pretty easy to follow. The modifier only uses one step.
Circuit 7: step @ 14 inches
- Climb on and off step; add mountain climber arms
- Step w/ knee raise on step, alternating legs; add reach and pull arm moves
- L step w/ knee raises, alternate sides
- Repeat 1-3
Circuit 8: core work w/ step @ 14 inches
- Stand in front of step, squat and twist to side (wood chop move, w/ arms straight and hands clasped)
- Isometric squat holds
- Repeat #1 on other side
- Repeat #2
- Raise one knee, opposite hand behind head, and bring elbow toward knee; balance on one leg; pulse knee up (still balancing)
- Sit on step, lean torso back and extend legs straight and raised off floor and hold isometrically; lower heels to floor and alternate pulling knees in; changes to pulling both knees in and out
- Straight arm plank w/ hands on step, alternate pulling knees into chest
- Repeat #6 & 7 on other side of step
- Sit on end of step, legs wide, one arm behind head, lean torso to side, other arm touching floor when leaning