Today was upper body day for me and since I am working my way through several of AngieFitnessTV‘s different series/programs, I decided to combine two workouts from her Fit Over 40 Program: Upper Body Push (this workout) which is Day 2 in the program followed by Cardio-Upper Body Sculpt which is Day 13. Using the appropriate weights, I got an excellent upper body workout and, thanks to the metabolic/cardio factor of Day 13, I burned nearly 400 calories. Not bad for an upper body strength day workout! This workout is made up of a circuit of 10 exercises. Each exercise is done for 60 seconds. Once you complete the circuit, you repeat it. Because of this, you can adjust your weights the second time through the circuit to get the most out of your workout, which is what I did. Sometimes I chose the correct weight the first time through and sometimes I had to increase my weight the second time through the circuit. What is listed below in the break down is what I lifted the second time through the circuit. And if you follow this blog, you know I am rebuilding the strength in my left arm after rotator cuff surgery. I did lift heavier in that arm this morning (so yay!) but for most of the exercises I was lifting a lighter weight in my left arm than I was in my right arm. What is listed below is what I lifted with my right arm.
All of the workouts in this program are available for free on YouTube but Angie has a whole 30 day program that uses these workouts. There is a link below the YouTube workout that leads to a webpage about this 30 day plan. The plan itself costs $19.99 but the Fit Over 40 Workouts themselves are free on YouTube.
Upper Body Push is 30:54 minutes; 5 minute warm up and 5 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells (Angie is using 8 pound dumbbells) and a resistance tube with handles. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Alternating bicep curls (12# DBs)
- Overhead tricep extensions (French press) (10# DBs)
- Single arm back row (Angie is holding both DBs on one hand) (one 25# DB)
- Alternating upright rows (12# DBs)
- Bent arm side raise (8# DBs)
- Hold resistance tube in both hands (holding tube not handles) with about a foot of tube between hands, do chest fly arms, opening arms to a T then bringing them back together in front of chest
- Stand on tube with a handle in each hand, do alternating bicep curls
- Still standing on tube, cross bands and hold tube under the handles, hinge forward and do double arm back rows
- Hold the band in both hands (holding the tube not the handles) with about 18 inches between hands, hold arms overhead and pull tube apart as you lower arms, bringing tube down behind your head
- Repeat #9 but this time alternate bringing band down in front of you to chest level and behind head head as in #9
- Repeat #1-10