Strong Body Stacked Sets: Upper is part of Cathe‘s LITE series. LITE stands for Low Impact Training Extreme and Cathe created it as intermediate level workout series. For more information on the LITE series as a whole, please see the LITE Series review. Strong Body Stacked Sets: Upper contains 3 bonuses that are included in premixes and can also be done on their own: 6 Pack Abs #2, Pyramid Pump Lower Body and Extended Stretch #2.
This was an awesome upper body workout. I found it perfect for my current fitness level. It is a solid intermediate level strength workout. The first time I did this workout I used the same weights as Cathe and it challenged me but I also saw room to grow. Luckily, I have dumbbells in one pound weight increments from 1-15 pounds. The second time I did this workout I did the Extreme Premix 1 and I lifted one pound heavier than Cathe on every single exercise except the double arm back rows. I used 18 pound dumbbells for that exercise. That also challenged me but I still see some more room to grow. Some of the exercises I probably could have lifted even heavier. So I will just keep increasing by one pound every time I do the workout until I know that I cannot lift any heavier. I find this a perfect workout (and series) for really building myself back up. I am very impressed. One thing to keep in mind is that Cathe uses different tempos and rep patterns to make using lighter weights more effective.
Strong Body Stacked Sets: Upper is 35 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: 5-15 pound dumbbells, step @ 10 inches and a fitness mat.
Chest & Triceps:
- Tricep dips off step done fast, 32 reps
- Tricep push ups off side of step, 12 reps
- Rotating tricep kickbacks, 12 reps (Cathe uses 8# DBs)
- Close grip bench press, 8 reps then rotate hands and do 12 regular chest presses; changes to alternating between the two presses, 8 reps of the combo (Cathe uses 10# DBs)
- Chest flys to pattern: open arms, lift halfway, lower then lift arms all the way–this is one rep, 8 reps (Cathe uses 10# DBs)
- Plyo push ups on knees, hands on step, 12 reps
- Repeat 1-6
- Dumbbell front squeeze and press (press DBs together in front of chest and press arms out straight angled slightly upward), 12 reps (Cathe uses 5# DBs)
- Overhead press to a pattern: push overhead, lower halfway, push overhead then lower all the way–this is one rep, 8 reps (Cathe uses 10# DBs)
- Lateral raise (raise straight arms/DB out to side, lower slightly, raise back to shoulder height then lower all the way–this is one rep), 8 reps (Cathe uses 5# DBs)
- Lateral “U” raise (bring ends of DBs together in front of thighs, palms facing forward, rotate arms up into a goal post then do a small pulse up in goal post before lowering back to start), 8 reps (Cathe uses 5# DBs)
- Hip huggers (hold DBs at sides of body and lift them up as if pulling your pants up, keeping DBs close to sides of body), 16 reps (Cathe uses 12# DBs)
- Repeat 1-5
Back & Biceps:
- Pullovers (lay on bench and do pullovers to 1.5 count, arc DBs down behind head, lift halfway, lower and then pull DBs back to start–this is one rep), 8 reps (Cathe uses 12# DBs)
- Bent over double arm back rows, 16 reps (Cathe uses 15# DBs)
- Hip hinge w/ back fly, 4 sets of 3 reps (Cathe uses 8# DBs)
- Bicep curls, 8 reps (Cathe uses 12# DBs)
- 8 point drop curls (raise DB to top of curl and do partial lowers, going lower each time until on the 8th one you are at the bottom of the curl), 2 sets of 8 partial curls (Cathe uses 10# DBs)
- Hammer curls, 8 reps (Cathe uses 12# DBs)
- Reverse curls, 8 reps (Cathe uses 8# DBs)
- Repeat 1-7
6 Pack Abs #2 is 10 minutes; 40 second stretch. Another excellent intermediate level core workout. I did not like it as much as 6 Pack Abs #1 but it is still a great core bonus. I found this one a little more challenging than 6 Pack Abs #1.
- Long leg lift crunches (lay on back, hands behind head and legs extended straight, do basic crunches while lifting one straight leg, alternate legs; changes to extending arms straight over head)
- Long reach butterfly sit ups (lay on back, knees bent and open with soles of feet together, place one hand behind head and other arm is extended straight overhead, do a full sit up trying to keep feet on floor, alternate which hand is behind head and which arm is extended)
- Reverse cycling (start on back but prop yourself up on your elbows, bicycle legs but in the opposite direction that you would traditionally cycle; she does these in a slower than faster intervals)
- Wide swing knee ups (lay on back, legs extended straight and arms extended over head/on floor in a V, do a full sit up while also raising one leg and bringing both hands under knee, alternate legs)
- Side to side tap outs (sit on bottom, knees bent and feet raised off floor, palms on mat behind you, rotate hips to one side lowering onto forearm and tapping other hand against same side/ top calf, alternate sides)
- Roll ups (start sitting up in C sit with arms extended overhead, roll down to mat then roll back up to straight spine with arms extended overhead, roll back down halfway and hold for 4 counts then lower back down to mat)
- Knee circle planks (in straight arm plank, bend one knee and circle the knee)
- Staggered arm plank holds (start in knee elbow plank and hold, raise knees so you are in full elbow plank and hold; while in full elbow plank, alternate walking forearms forward and back)
Extended Stretch #2 is 11 minutes. This is absolutely wonderful and exactly what I need at this time in my life–more flexibility work. I am so thrilled that Cathe has added one of these extended stretches to each DVD in this series. I plan to use them a lot. Maybe every single time I do a LITE workout. This one is wonderful and the fact it starts with some basic standing flows really just extends the cool down with some dynamic stretching. When she uses the Extended Stretches in premixes (tacked on to the end of the workout) you skip the stretch that is part of the workout and go straight to the Extended Stretch bonus.
Starts in mountain pose. Inhale and extend arms overhead then swan dive down into forward fold, straighten spine/flatten back then roll back up to standing, keep repeating this flow. Hold forward fold. Step one leg back so you are in runners lunge then lower back knee to mat; leave one palm on floor and rotate spine raising other arm (same side as front leg) to ceiling. Return to forward fold. Raise into flat back and hold; roll back to standing, raising arms overhead, forward fold then step back to down dog. Child’s pose. Butterfly stretch w/ palms on floor behind hips to stretch chest. Still seated on mat, knees bent and feet on floor, hands still on mat behind hips, raise hips and cross one ankle over opposite knee then lower hips to floor; from this position, lower leg to floor so you are sitting in a modified lotus position, twist spine placing one hand on floor behind you and other arm on knee; in same position, take arm that was on floor behind you and extend overhead and to opposite side. Sit on bottom with straight legs extended in a wide V in front of you and walk hands out between thighs. Sit cross-legged and walk hands out on floor in front of you. Sit cross-leg with backs of hands resting on knees, palms facing the ceiling and eyes closed.
Lower Body Pyramid Pump (38 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up, no stretch) Each exercise is done for 5 sets and each set increases in reps then decreases back down the pyramid in this fashion: 1 set of 12 reps, 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 8 reps, 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 12 reps. Equipment: dumbbells, sliding device, high step w/ 3 risers and a fitness mat.
Since I did not do any of the Pyramid Pump Bonuses as add ons to the main workout, I cannot accurately review them that way. I did the Pyramid Pumps using the bonus DVD that collects them all together. See the Pyramid Pump review if you want more information.
Rear Slide Lunges (DBs + sliding device) (Cathe uses 5# DBs for 1st set, 8# DBs for 2nd set, 10# DBs for 3rd set, 8# DBs for 4th set, 5# DBs for 5th set)
Step Ups (DBs + high step @ 10 inches) (Cathe uses 8# DBs for 1st set, 10# DBs for 2nd set, 12# DBs for 3rd set, 10# DBs for 4th set, 8# DBs for 5th set)
Side Slide Lunges (DBs and sliding device) (Cathe uses one 10# DB for 1st set, one 12# DB for 2nd set, one 15# DB for 3rd set, 12# DB for 4th set, one 10# DB for 5th set)
Elevated Lunges (back leg is elevated on step) (DBs and high step @ 6 inches): 1 set of 12 reps, 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 8 reps, 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 12 reps (Cathe uses 8# DBs for 1st set, 10# DBs for 2nd set, 12# DBs for 3rd set, 10# DBs for 4th set, 8# DBs for 5th set)
Sliding Cross-back Lunges (curtsy lunges) (DBs and sliding device): 1 set of 12 reps, 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 8 reps, 1 set of 10 reps, 1 set of 12 reps (Cathe uses 8# DBs for 1st set, 10# DBs for 2nd set, 12# DBs for 3rd set, 10# DBs for 4th set, 8# DBs for 5th set)
Straight Leg Deadlifts (DBs) (Cathe uses 10# DBs for 1st set, 12# DBs for 2nd set, 15# DBs for 3rd set, 12# DBs for 4th set, 10# DBs for 5th set)
Calf Raises (DBs) (Cathe uses 10# DBs for 1st set, 12# DBs for 2nd set, 15# DBs for 3rd set, 12# DBs for 4th set, 10# DBs for 5th set)
Main Workout + Extended Stretch #2 (43:07 minutes)
Main Workout + 6 Pack Abs #2 (45:37 minutes)
Main Workout + 6 Pack Abs #2 + Extended Stretch #2 (53 minutes)
Pyramid Lower Body Only (41:46 minutes)
Pyramid Lower Body + Extended Stretch #2 (49:09 minutes)
Pyramid Lower Body + 6 Pack Abs #2 (51:39 minutes)
Pyramid Lower Body + 6 Pack Abs #2 + Extended Stretch #2 (59:02 minutes)
Total Body Workout (Pyramid Lower Body + Main Workout) (71:30 minutes)
Total Body Workout + 6 Pack Abs #2 (81:23 miutes)
Timesaver #1 (first half only) (20:13 minutes)
Timesaver #2 (last half only) (21:31 minutes)
Timesaver #3 (Chest & Triceps) (16:36 minutes)
Timesaver #4 (Shoulders) (13:23 minutes)
Timesaver #5 (Back & Biceps) (17:45 minutes)
Timesaver #6 (Chest, Triceps & Shoulders) (23:59 minutes)
Timesaver #7 (Back, Biceps & Shoulders (25:08 minutes)
Timesaver #8 (Chest, Triceps, Back & Biceps) (28:21 minutes)
Timesaver #9 (single round of each muscle group) (20:50 mintues)
Timesaver #10 (Pyramid Lower Body + single round of each upper body muscle group) (56:45 minutes)
Scrambled #1 (35:44 minutes)
Scrambled #2 (Abs mixed in) (45:37 minutes)
Scrambled #3 (Abs mixed in) (48:42 minutes)
Extreme #1 (8 rounds: 1A + 1B + 2A + 2B + 3A + 3B + 1A + 3B) (46:49 minutes)
Extreme #2 (Double it–12 rounds) (65:19 minutes)
4 thoughts on “LITE: Strong Body Stacked Sets: Upper”
I really wanted there to be a Bi’s & Tri’s premix on this one! Lol.
LikeLiked by 1 person
That is odd, isn’t it? She combines every other muscle group.