Ankle Weight Lower Body Sculpt is part of AngieFitnessTV‘s 15 Minutes to Fit Series. This is a rather deceptive workout. Mat work always is. Other than the warm up, the entirety of this workout is done on a mat wearing ankle weights. I have 2 sets of ankles weights: 1 pound and 2.5 pounds. I started ambitiously wearing my 2.5 pound ankle weights and by exercise #3 I had to swap to my 1 pound ankle weights because it burned. However, this is a varied mix of exercises and some exercises are easier (and therefore need more weight) than others. Each exercise is done for 1 minute but if it is an exercise that focuses on one leg then it is only done for 30 seconds each leg. I found that for some exercises 2.5 pounds was too much and lowering to the 1 pound ankle weights was appropriate for me but other exercises the 1 pound was not enough and I needed more. Not sure what can be done about that since there is no time to change back and forth between ankle weights, and constantly pausing the workout to do so defeats the purpose of this being a quick workout. I have ordered a new set of adjustable ankle weights that can be used at 2, 3 and 4 pounds each ankle–so weight is total 4, 6 and 8 pounds. So maybe using only 2 pounds would make the difference. If I return to this workout and try it, I will update this post. However, if you can find the right ankle weight for your level then this is another great finisher workout from Angie. Add it on to the end of a lower body strength day to finish off your legs or onto the end of a cardio day to give yourself some extra work. I added it onto the end of a cardio day today.
Ankle Weight Lower Body Sculpt is 18:51 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: ankle weights and a mat. After the warm up you will put on your ankle weights and come down to the mat.
- Lay on back, knees bent and feet on floor, raise and lower hips in and out of bridge; changes to pulses at top of bridge
- Lay on side, legs extended straight and angled slightly to front, raise and lower top straight leg
- Still laying on side, small circles with top straight leg (toe is pointed)
- Still laying on side, bring knee of top leg into chest then push it back out straight
- Lay on back and raise straight legs to ceiling, open legs out into a wide V then close legs
- Repeat #2-4 on other side of body
- On hands and knees, lift and lower one leg behind you (leg is straight, toe is pointed)
- Repeat #7 on other leg
- Still on hands and knees, knee bent, push sole of foot up to ceiling
- Repeat #9 on other leg
- Lay on back with knees bent and feet on floor, raise one leg straight to ceiling and raise and lower hips into single leg bridge
- Repeat #11 on other leg
- Repeat #5