This was a tough workout! Much tougher than I expected it to be. No Repeat Low Impact Cardio Mix is another of AngieFitnessTV‘s “premix” workouts. It is cut from one of Angie’s super long live workouts: No Repeat Cardio & Weight Training which is 81 minutes. However, like all of her live workouts the actual workout time is not that long. It is labeled as an hour long, so that hour is sandwiched between the live aspects. For this workout, Angie edited out all of the live aspects that take up a lot time and also edited out all of the strength work so all that’s left is warm up, cardio and stretch.
This is a low impact cardio workout. The cardio is set up in 3 parts. The first part uses the step set up vertically and a fit stick. A “fit stick” is just a very light dowel. I have a piece of equipment that is used with resistance bands so that you can do things like lat pull downs. It’s very light. That is what I used. What I used looks a lot like what Angie is using but I really don’t know what she used. Anyway, at the beginning Angie says she is going to burn your arms out. I was surprised at how true that was. I wore my 8 pound vest and also had my step at 8 inches so I was working hard cardiovascularly, but that light fit stick burned my arms out during the step segment! That’s the first segment. Then you do boxing with light hand weights. I used 2 pound hand weights. Each exercise is done for one minute–in all of the cardio segments. The solid minute of different punches burned my arms out, too. Finally, the last segment was a bit of a surprise. Stability ball cardio. I expected this to be standing cardio holding the stability ball. Nope, you are sitting on the stability, bouncing on it high enough that your bottom is coming off of the stability ball. You do that the entire segment. What changes every minute is the arm movements. You do large arm movements. Again, I started to get some arm burn but more than that, my legs started aching from all of the bouncing!
In 37 minutes I burned 272 calories. According to my FitBit, I was in my cardio zone for 23 minutes and in my peak heart rate 7 minutes. Here is what is surprising about the peaks in my heart rate. According to the FitBit graph, my heart spiked the highest during the stability ball cardio! This workout has a nice relaxing stretch at the end that I really needed. Another excellent workout from Angie!
No Repeat Low Impact Cardio Mix is 36:54 minutes; 5 minute warm up and 5:30 minute stretch. Equipment: step @ 6 inches, stability ball, light hand weights, and a fit stick. I also wore an 8 pound weighted vest and had my step at 8 inches.
Step cardio with fit stick (Angie gives easier options with stick in case your arms start to burn out):
- T step holding fit stick overhead + alternating step knees bringing stick to knees when it raises
- Narrow squat on floor behind step, holding stick above head
- Repeat #1 on other lead leg
- Repeat #2
- Step knee off side of step chopping stick from overhead to opposite hip (Angie calls this move “spearing the fish”)
- Repeat #5 on other side of step
- March on top of step holding stick overhead
- Straddle step on and off step while continuing to hold stick overhead
- Repeat #8 on other side of body but this time do overhead press with stick
- Stand on top of step and alternate tapping feet on floor beside the step; add pressing stick from chest to straight in front of you
- Repeat #10 on other lead leg but do overhead presses with stick
- Curb walk on step pushing stick overhead then in front of you when walking forward then overhead and down when walking back (curb walking=facing small side of step, place one foot on step to step over step length-wise then step over step again walking backwards back to start)
- Repeat #12 on other side of step
Put away step and fit stick. Grab light hand weights. Angie is using 2 pound hand weights.
- Alternating front punches
- Alternating cross punches
- Alternating hook punches
- Alternating upper cut punches
- Hook + upper cut
- Repeat #5 & 6 on other lead
- Jab-cross-jab to front then jab-cross-jab to side
- Repeat #8 on other side
Set hand weights aside and grab stability ball.
- Sit on stability ball and bounce your bottom up and down on it, arms are overhead waving side to side
- Still sitting on ball and bouncing, circle arms
- Still sitting on ball and bouncing, alternate pushing arms overhead
- Still sitting on ball and bouncing, open arms out to sides at shoulder height then clap hands in front of you (arms remain straight); same arm movement but open and close arms on a diagonal (one high and one low)
- Stand and bounce ball like a basketball while doing hamstring curls (you are dribbling the ball, alternating hands with each dribble); changes to just walking around in a circle while continuing to bounce the ball