As mentioned in the review for Linda‘s Cardio Interval Tone 45/30, I created a fat Barlates playlist on YouTube. This workout was at the top of the list. I love to work my back and I think it is one of the most important muscle groups to spend extra time on. So when I saw that Linda had an entire 42 minute workout devoted to back strength–I worked it in as soon as possible. And this workout delivers. It is one of the most comprehensive back workouts I have ever done. I finished this workout 2 hours ago and my entire back is still burning–the good burn! I expect DOMS tomorrow.
This workout is offered free on YouTube. She lists it as intermediate/advanced. The level depends a lot on your weight selection. I used 3-20 pound dumbbells. Linda had a set of light and a set of heavy dumbbells, but I needed a bigger selection to get the best workout. However, this is a high rep workout, so you cannot go super heavy. She also used the stability ball for bent over rows. There are a lot of bent over moves in this workout. I have no problem with that, except after a while, all the bending over was making my lower back hurt. So in the future I will also use my weight bench for the rows (to place one knee on) or a full step at 14 inches w/ mat on it–either would work fine for the bent over rows that she uses the ball for. This is a such a great workout I now feel that I must find a way to incorporate it frequently into my rotations.
Barlates: Back Strength is 42 minutes long; 1 minute intro and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment needed: light and heavy dumbbells, pilates band (dynaband) and a stability ball or step/bench. Linda used 3 and 15 pound dumbbells (1.5kg and 7.5kg). #1-5 below serve as a warm up–lots of reps, so you’ll want to use pretty light dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Bent over row w/ light DBs; cross DBs at bottom of row then row DBs (higher) in front of you at shoulder level (sometimes she crosses, sometimes she doesn’t); alternate these two rows (I used 3# DBs)
- Bent over wide rows w/ light DBs (no crossing) (I used 3# DBs)
- High rows at shoulder level w/ light DBs (no crossing) (I used 3# DBs)
- Close grip bent over rows, pulse 3x at the top of each row (light DBs) (I used 10# DBs)
- Repeat #4 except wide rows (I used 8# DBs)
- Shrugs w/ heavy DBs (I used 15# DBs)
- Rolling forward fold deadlifts (roll down until DBs rest of floor then roll back up to standing) (heavy DBs) (I used 15# DBs) (I really loved this move–you only do 4 reps but it felt so good)
- With arms hanging at sides, holding heavy DBs, roll shoulders forward and back, bringing DBs behind your thighs and in front of your thighs (I used 15# DBs)
- V leg raises with hips/belly laying on ball
- Still on ball in same position, raise one arm and opposite leg
- Still on ball in same position, place fingertips near face, elbows bent/out and raise and lower torso; this changes to raising torso toward each side (elbows still out but fingertips now touching about neck level)
- One arm bent over row w/ heavy DB and one hand on ball (I used one 20# DB)
- Repeat #12 but w/ dynaband under one foot (singles and lots of pulsing)
- Repeat #12 & 13 on other arm
- Seated Y band pulls (band around feet and criss-crossed) (singles and pulsing)
- Pullovers on ball w/ one heavy DB (I used one 20# DB)
- Pulsing pullovers on ball w/ one heavy DB (I used one 15# DB)
- Seated rows using band and light DBs (singles and pulsing) (I used 5# DBs but will increase to 8# DBs next time)
- Simultaneous fast alternating bent over rows w/ light DBs (I used 8# DBs)
- Rear delt flys w/ light DBs (I used 5# DBs)
For more info on Barlates and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
14 thoughts on “Barlates: Back Strength”
In Linda’s most recent coffee talk on youtube, she said she is going to release this workout on a DVD with other heavier weight strength workouts… I think it will be great! I have her old school weight series and really like it. She really does a bit of everything!! And make the workouts so efficient.
Thanks for the heads up! That made me go and listen to her latest coffee and I am very excited about her new strength series. I LOVE her back workout. I am anxiously awaiting for her boot camp series to be available on Amazon–plus I added some more of her workouts to my wish list! Her workouts are becoming another obsession for me!
Yes Linda is awesome, I am so glad I found her! Her workouts have helped me so much, and I definitely see changes. I ordered the bootcamp series through total fitness DVDs (it comes with the sweat series and the cardio sculpt fusion series .. and with the 10% off you get the 3 DVD’s for less than the price of 2!) also I have ordered multiple single workouts through her, and she put them all on a couple DVDs and mailed them from Austrailia for such a reasonable price. If you email her, she gets back to you right away. It’s like you have your own own personal trainer!
I did see that but I already own the Sweat series. I want to buy just the Bootcamp series. I went to her website and I don’t see it there either–just the box set that contains the Sweat series.
I ended up ordering the box set! I had brunch with my daughter today and gave her my copy of the Sweat Series (after gushing about Linda and getting her interested). Since I now needed to replace Sweat series anyway and do not own the other two DVDs in the box set–I ordered it and now have all 3 coming!
Hahaha well glad to hear it! I have the sweat series too but couldn’t pass up the deal from total fitness DVDs… and apparently those are pressed DVDs vs dvd-r’s, which I think means a better quality? Either way, I now have lots of Linda’s workouts through various sources and soon my Linda DVD collection will rival that of Cathe’s lol! (I don’t have all of Cathe’s workouts like I know you have said you do… but I have many!) One other thing to mention… Linda has said to let her know what type of workouts you want to see. Well I emailed her and said I would love to have a yoga with light weights workout, and she just put out a yoga Barre mat workout that looks really good. She said it will be part of a 3- workout series that will be released later this month on Amazon. It may entirely be a coincidence, but I like to think she answered my request lol!! Because I know I need yoga, but I like to feel that I am getting a bit more strength workout from it. Otherwise I kinda feel like I should be doing more lol. And Linda can completely burn you out with 2-3# weights!
Welcome to Barlates! I’ve been doing Linda’s workouts for two years. She is very creative and effective. I’m glad you found her.
Thanks for the welcome! What a discovery! I am so impressed with Linda. I am obsessed now and working on redoing my current rotation to squeeze in more of her workouts.