Bums + Tums is part of Linda Wooldridge’s 100 Rep Challenge series. She has 10 workouts in this series (here is her 100 Rep Challenge play list so you can view them all). You can also buy the entire series on DVD (which I have now done). The idea behind these workouts is that you do 100 reps of each exercise in the workout. There are 10 exercises, so each workout actually contains 1,000 reps!
Bums + Tums is a bodyweight mat workout from Linda that works your glutes and core. I used this workout as a finisher to Jessica Smith‘s Leg Day and it did a good job finishing me off! It’s not her hardest glute mat workout but that is mostly because you are alternating the glute work with core work. It really was a nice way to finish off an intense lower body workout–I got some additional glute work and I also got some core work. And because Linda moves quickly through each exercise with no real rest between 100 rep circuits, it kept my heart rate elevated (it was already elevated from Jessica’s Leg Day). That first exercise was harder than it initially appeared to be! Another great add on Barlates workout!
Bums + Tums is 21 minutes long; 2 minute stretch. No equipment needed except a mat.
- Start on hands and knees, raising one leg straight behind you then bend knee, bringing knee to same side elbow on outside of body when you push leg back out straight while lowering elbows to ground–this is one rep, do 60 of these; changes to pulsing knee to elbow for 20 reps; changes to just pulsing straight leg up behind you while lowered to elbows for 20 reps
- Repeat 1 on other side of body
- In C sit w/ knees bent and feet on ground and arms extended straight in front of you, scissor arms while alternating tapping heels out straight in front of you
- Hip raises while in bridge
- In C sit w/ knees bent and feet on ground and arms extended straight in front of you, twist straight arms and torso to side, tapping hands to mat while also extending same side leg, do 40 reps on each side then finish w/ 20 alternating reps
- Lay on side then shift torso forward so you can place both elbows on the ground, but are still on one hip, bend top leg in attitude and raise and lower top leg
- Repeat 6 on other leg
- In C sit w/ knees bent and feet on ground and arms extended straight overhead, bicycle legs while alternating bringing elbows down to sides; changes to just doing the arm portion w/ feet on floor
- Lay on stomach w/ knees apart and bent, soles of feet touching, raise thighs and pulse feet to ceiling; changes to straightening legs then bending them bringing soles of feet together (while keeping thighs raises)
- Traditional bicycle maneuver
For more info on Barlates and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.