Total 20: Weights is a short and to the point total body strength workout. The Total 20 Series was created by Linda @ Barlates. I was very excited about this series of workouts from the time the first one appeared on YouTube. Total 20 consists of 8 workouts that are 23-29 minutes in length. They are advertised to give you a total body workout in just 20 minutes–plus you get a warm up and stretch, which is what makes the workouts longer than 20 minutes. How perfect is that? So far I have done 2 of these workouts. This workout and Bounce Sculpt. I did them together for a nearly hour long total body metabolic strength workout. This workout moves quickly so you cannot use heavy dumbbells but Linda does hit all of your muscle groups at least once and your heart rate remains elevated throughout. Linda also shows modifications to some of the exercises. Linda used fairly light dumbbells due to the pace of this workout. I chose heavier dumbbells, but I still have to be conservative due to a torn rotator cuff. The length of these workouts are perfect for any time you want something quick but thorough but they are also the perfect length to combine 2 of them for a 50-60 minute workout.
There are several ways you can do this workout. It is available for free on YouTube. You can purchase the Total 20 DVD that contains all 8 workouts in this series (which is what I did) from Amazon or Total Fitness DVDs. You can also purchase it directly from Linda. You can purchase it from her on DVD or download and you can purchase the entire series or just this workout if that is all you want. She is very accommodating.
Total 20: Weights is 24:30 minutes; 45 second intro, 3 minute warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells (Linda is using 5 and 8 pound dumbbells). I used the same weight as Linda did unless otherwise noted below.
- Squats with hammer curls; changes to step out squats (step out to side into a squat, alternate sides and continue doing hammer curls); set one DB aside and do step out squats to one side while also doing single arm supination curls (Linda is using 8# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Stand on one leg, other is bent behind you in attitude, raise and lower leg while also doing bent arm side raises (5# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other leg but this time do straight arm side raises with palms facing behind you (5# DBs)
- Hinge forward at the hips with DBs/arms reaching toward the ground, from this position do a wide row, at top of the row, open arms/DBs out to side into a delt fly, bend elbows back into row position then lower arms back to starting position (5# DBs)
- Wide plie squat + straight leg sweep across other leg, alternate legs with a squat between each leg sweep, you are also holding one DB in both hands and you twist DB to side when sweeping leg; continue this move but do all reps on one side of body (one 8# DB)
- Still standing in wide plie squat and still holding one DB in both hands, twist DB side to side (hip to hip) (one 8# DB)
- Holding one DB in one hand, do a side lunge, reaching DB down toward foot then stand and kick leg across/in front of other leg while also doing a single arm overhead press (Linda is using one 5# DB; I used one 10# DB)
- Stand with all your weight on one leg, do front leg kicks with other leg while also doing single arm overhead tricep extensions (Linda is using one 5# DB; I used one 10# DB)
- Repeat #7 & 8 on other side of body
- Lay on back with knees bent, feet on floor and do chest presses; raise legs off ground with knees still bent (Linda is using 8# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Still holding DBs from #10, place ends of DBs on floor beside hips and sit up with torso leaned back, in this position flutter kick slightly bent legs
- Combine #10 and 11, alternating 4 reps of each exercise
- Lay on back, knees bent and feet raised off floor, do 4 chest flys then sit up, place ends of DBs on floor beside hips and torso leaned back, in this position scissor slightly bent legs 4x (Linda is using 8# DBs; I used 10# DBs)
- Renegade rows; add lifting one leg while rowing (opposite leg of arm that is rowing) (Linda is using 8# DBs; I used 18# DBs)
- Hold straight arm plank