Heather Robertson has really been branching out with some new workout modalities in addition to her strength and HIIT cardio workouts: kickboxing, yoga, barre and pilates. She delivers them with her usual high production value. They are set to good music with no talking, done to timed intervals and visually beautiful. Though I am not a fan of pilates, I decided that since this is Heather Robertson, I needed to at least give it a try. So far she appears to have created 3 pilates workouts. After previewing all of them, I started with HIIT Pilates Workout // Total Body Fusion Workout because it seems to be the easiest of the 3. Heather has created another winner! What a feel good workout! If I had to categorize this, it is body weight strength + dynamic flexibility. I was working but not hard. I did break a sweat but I never needed to towel off. It was a feel good workout that worked my body nicely. The stretch at the end was very nice, too. I plan to try her other 2 pilates workouts now so stay tuned.
HIIT Pilates Workout // Total Body Fusion Workout is 28:24 minutes; 3:15 minute warm up and 4 minute stretch. Equipment: mat and if you are balance challenged like me, you might need a chair for balance for #2 & 3 below. This workout is done interval style. Each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by 10 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. Heather previews the next exercise during the recoveries.
- Plie squat & squeeze (stand with legs wide, toes turned out to sides, do a wide plie squat while arms flow down between legs, stand while raising arms out to sides in a T and pull elbows into ribs with palms facing ceiling)
- Lunge & drive (reverse lunge with one arm extended overhead, at top of lunge raise knee and bring elbow of raised arm to knee)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Butterfly bridge & press (lay on mat, knees bent and open, soles of feet together, arms extended straight to ceiling, raise hips and hold, bend elbows, tapping elbows to floor at sides, raise arms straight to ceiling again and lower hips)
- Double leg knee tug (lay on back, head/shoulder elevated, legs extended straight a few inches off the ground, bring one knee into chest and clasp knee with both hands and pulse it into chest 2x, alternate legs)
- Lunge hop & twist (start in deep lunge, rotate torso to side while extending arms straight out to sides, face torso forward and raise both arms overhead while hopping to swap leg positions (jump lunge), repeat on other side of body)
- Side leg kick (get on all 4s, raise one bent leg to side in hydrant then kick leg out straight)
- Repeat #7 on other leg
- Dolphin push up (from forearm plank, push hips back into dolphin pose, flow between forearm plank and dolphin pose)
- Pilates 100 (while bringing knees into chest then extending them straight at a 45 degree angle)
- Squat & calf raise (squat and when you stand, raise onto toes, pushing straight arms behind you)
- Ninja hop & twist (start standing, lower into a wide yoga squat, place hands on floor and jump feet back to plank, jump feet back into yoga squat, stand and twist torso to side while also extending arms straight to sides, alternate sides)
- Repeat #1-12