Cardio + Abs is Day 4 in Heather Robertson‘s Home Workout Challenge. Heather’s Home Workout Challenge is 7 days of no equipment body weight workouts that she created in May 2020. (Here is the playlist if you are interested.) This was a such a great workout! It was so much fun. I do not normally enjoy workouts that contain tons of core work but this workout alternates core exercises with cardio exercises–so not boredom and no burn out. Just lots of fun. I loved this workout. I didn’t burn a ton of calories–222 according to my FitBit but I still got some good cardio and strengthened my core while doing it. This is not a low impact workout. I think all of the cardio exercises include jumping.
Cardio + Abs is 39:22 minutes; 40 second intro, 4:15 minute warm up and 3:45 minute stretch. Equipment: fitness mat. The exercises are all done interval style: 40 seconds of work followed by 20 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
- High knees & butt kicks (alternate 4 high knee runs with 4 butt kick runs)
- Criss cross jacks (cross jacks legs, arms open out to sides in a T then cross in front of body when feet cross)
- Penguin crunch (lay on back, knees bent and feet on mat, raise head/shoulders, alternate tapping hands to same side heels)
- Reverse tuck & kick out (lay on back on mat, reverse crunch bringing knees into chest then push legs out straight a few inches off floor)
- Mountain climber
- Skate taps (hinge forward, tap one leg out to side while reaching same side hand to floor, alternate sides)
- Knee driver (alternating knee raises with a hop when raising knee, arms reach overhead and pull down to nee when it raises)
- Ghost rope (hop side to side with jump rope arms)
- Bent knee V crunch (sit on bottom on mat with hands on mat behind you, bring knees into chest then lean torso back while pushing legs out and opening them in a V)
- Pilates 100
- Touch lunge & kick (reverse lunge hinging torso forward over front leg and touching floor with hand, when you stand do one front kick)
- Repeat #11 on other side of body
- Oblique crunch (lay on back on mat, one knee is bent with foot on mat, other ankle is crossed over the knee, hands are behind head, crunch upper body bringing opposite elbow to knee of crossed leg)
- Repeat #13 on other side of body
- Kick through burpee (plank burpee (no push up), when in plank kick one leg under body toward opposite side, repeat on other leg then jump feet into hands to complete burpee)
- 30 second rest
- Repeat #1-15
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
3 thoughts on “Day 4 Home Workout Challenge // CARDIO + ABS (No Equipment)”
Good Sunday morning!
I totally agree with you on this one. You have a similar workout in your Heather/Caroline rotation (HiiT cardio and abs) that has the same alternating format. I did this one just before I started the rotation and love it just as much so both will be repeat performances for me. ☺️
Heather’s Day 2 from her Glow Up Challenge right? I definitely like this one better. They are both great workouts, but I liked how this one does a better job alternating cardio and core moves. In Glow Up it works out more like a 6 exercise circuit of core alternated with a 6 exercise circuit of cardio. This workout seems to alternate supersets the core and cardio exercises most of the time. Sometimes it strings 3 of one kind together but mostly it alternates pairings. That is more my speed! But they are both great workouts.