Good Resistance Training Exercises for Bad Backs: 7 Minute Workout is a short little resistance band workout from Jessica Smith to use when your back is hurting. The focus is upper body strength. Jessica suggests repeating it several times. I just used it in conjunction with several of her other workouts for back pain (see review for 20 Minute Total Body Strength Workout). All of the exercises in this workout avoid leaning forward to protect your back. However you will get down on the mat for plank. I used a light and a medium resistance band for this workout. If you are in pain, you don’t want to use a heavy resistance band because straining is just going exacerbate your pain. Peanut is with us in this workout. This was filmed back in 2014 when she was still a young dog.
Good Resistance Training Exercises for Bad Backs: 7 Minute Workout is 7:46 minutes; one minute intro and the last 46 seconds is Jessica talking. Equipment: resistance band(s) w/ handles and a fitness mat.
- Stand with band in both hands, about a foot of band between each hand, arms are raised to shoulder level and extended in front of you, pull band in toward body, opening band wider and pulling shoulder blades together until band taps ribs, then push band back to start
- Stand in split stance, band is under back foot and you are holding one handle in each hand, push band in front of you, then pull band back to sides
- Stand on band with both feet, holding one handle in each hand, do an overhead press
- Still standing on band with both feet, do bicep curls
- Still standing on band with both feet, press band behind you with straight arms, bend elbows slightly then push arms straight again
- Hold straight arm plank
For more info on JessicaSmithTV and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.