30 Min Back & Biceps Workout is Day 10 in Caroline Girvan‘s Iron Series. Another tough and intense upper body workout. By the time we get to the bicep work, my arms were burning! Caroline was really struggling during the finisher. Since today is the 4th of July and I have the day off, I decided to make this a (nearly) full upper body workout by adding on two finishers: 10 Minute Dumbbell Chest Workout and 15 Min Tricep Workout. Both are Caroline creations. Between the 3 workouts, my upper body is fried. The only muscle group that didn’t get fried was my shoulders but they will get their turn on Wednesday I do an Iron Series shoulder workout.
All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
30 Min Back & Biceps Workout is 36:39 minutes; 3 minute intro, no warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Caroline is using 20kg/44 pound dumbbells and 8kg/17.6 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Single arm bent over row (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #1 on other arm
- Repeat #1 & 2
- Pullover (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #4
- Single arm bent over supine row (palm faces in front of you) (one 37.5# DB)
- Repeat #6 on other arm
- Repeat #6 & 7
- Pullover (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #9
- Hammer curl for 20 seconds; hold isometrically w/ arms bent at 90 degrees for 20 seconds; hammer curl for 20 seconds (16.5# DBs)
- Full range hammer curl (16.5# DBs)
- X body curl for 20 seconds (arms/DBs at side with palms facing thighs, curl DBs in front of body (palms facing body) then lower body to start); hold at top of X body curl for 20 seconds; X body curl for 20 seconds (16.5# DBs)
- Full X body curl (16.5# DBs)
- Wide bicep curl for 20 seconds; hold isometrically for 20 seconds with arms turned out to sides and elbows bent at 90 degrees; full wide bicep curl for 20 seconds (15# DBs)
- Full wide bicep curls (15# DBs)
- Bent over double arm supine row for 60 seconds (palms facing forward) (25# DBs)
- 30 second rest
- 21s palms up curls for 90 seconds (first 7 reps lift DBs halfway; 2nd 7 reps start at top of curl and lower halfway; 3rd 7 reps full bicep curls) (15# DBs)