Legs, Shoulders & Back Strength Gains is the latest Fit Body by Julia workout I have done. I haven’t done any new-to-me Fit Body by Julia workouts in a while but I have returned to ones I’ve already done and reviewed here. However, this morning I decided to give this one a try since it is working all of my favorite muscle groups and it is only 51:30 minutes long, so it works nicely for a work morning. I added my own warm up and stretch.
This is another very tough strength workout. The first part of the workout is set up in supersets and trisets. You do 2 lower body supersets (so 4 exercises for the lower body), 2 back supersets and one shoulder triset. You do 10 reps of each exercise and each superset/triset is repeated 3 times. The workout ends with some ab work, a bosu total body pyramid complex and finally some bosu cardio. Overall, an intense, excellent and tough workout. Julia did some back-loaded exercises and for those she placed her sandbag on her shoulders. In previous workouts she has mentioned that her sandbag is 52.5 pounds. For the back-loaded exercises I just placed my dumbbells on my shoulders. The shoulder triset was much harder than I expected it to be. Julia used 9 pounds and I thought that would be too light. I had initially decided to use 15 pound dumbbells but at the last minute I went with 13 pound dumbbells instead. I kept lowering my dumbbells each time we repeated the triset! You get no break between exercises and it really burns your shoulders out. On some of the back exercises I also intended to lift heavier but Julia is lifting at a very brisk pace and I had to lower my weights to keep up her pace.
Legs, Shoulders & Back Strength Gains is 51:30 minutes long; no warm up or stretch, and no music. Equipment: Julia used a step @ 16 inches, bosu ball, ankle weights and adjustable dumbbells. Julia also uses a sandbag and wore a weighted vest. I used dumbbells, my step @ 12 inches and a bosu ball. The breakdown below was copied from Julia’s YouTube page. I only made some formatting adjustments and explained any exercise that isn’t obvious from the name. The weights listed below are what I used.
Legs Supersets: 10 reps each, repeat each superset 3x
- Bulgarian deadlift (18# DBs)
- Back squat to bosu pulse 2x (18# DBs)
- Back load stay low curtsy (18# DBs)
- Forward alternating lunges touching DB to front toe (one 18# DB)
Shoulders Triset: 10 reps each, repeat triset 3x
- Arnold press (13# DBs first 2 sets, 11# DBs 3rd set)
- Reverse grip shoulder press (13# DBs first set, 11# DBs 2nd set, 9# DBs 3rd set)
- Alternating single arm press (13# DBs first set, 11# DBs 2nd set, 9# DBs 3rd set)
Back Supersets: 10 reps each, repeat each superset 3x
- Bent row to fly (11# DBs)
- Single arm rows (one 25# DB)
- Plank rows (one 25# DB)
- Deadlift + 1/2 deadlift (30# DBs)
Abs: each exercise is done for 30 seconds w/ 10 seconds of rest, repeat 2x (Julia wore ankle weights)
- Bosu V up
- Flutter kicks
- Bosu alt single leg touch
Combo Pyramid Move: 1-5 reps by Colleen K (the first time through do each move once, then repeat and do each move twice and keep increasing until you are doing each move 5x)
1. Bosu pullover, stand, overhead press to swing to sumo squat (one 25# DB)
Hiit Bosu Cardio: each exercise is done for 30 seconds w/ 10 seconds of rest, repeat 2x
- Jamie Bosu move: curtsy toe touch to single leg bosu hop (one 15# DB)
- 10 bosu mountain climbers + 10 overhead bosu high knee runs
- Bosu burpee + 3 bunny hops holding bosu in front of you
- Straddle down and pulse (straddle jump on and off bosu and do 3 squat pulses straddling bosu)
For more info on Fit Body by Julia and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.