I am doing great–recovering well from cancer treatment and regaining my strength and endurance. I am using Jessica Smith‘s 30 minute Walk On and Walk Strong workouts to help me get there. I am getting ready to progress up to her Walk Strong 3 workouts but first I decided to start increasing my morning workout time. I used to workout for an hour every morning Monday-Friday (longer on the weekends) but I had to reduce that to 30 minutes M-F due to the effects of cancer treatment. But I am doing so well. I have been increasing the weights I lift and feeling better and stronger during and after my workouts. So I decided, before I kick it up to harder workouts, I would tack on some of Jessica’s 10-15 minute workouts, increasing my morning workout time to approx. 45 minutes. Which brings me to this workout.
This morning I did Jessica’s Upper Body Focus from her Boost Metabolism + Muscle and finished it off with this little bonus on her YouTube channel. This is a great little finisher/add on. Not nearly as intense as Upper Body Focus, but for where I am now, this did a nice job finishing me off and extending my workout time to about 45 minutes without killing me. I could have probably lifted heavier weights than what I did but my muscles were already burned out from Upper Body Focus and, since this was my first time doing the workout, I lifted conservatively.
Upper Body Circuit Walk is 13 minutes; 3:30 minute warm up, no stretch but Jessica continues marching in place and talking for another minute at the end of the workout. Equipment: Jessica recommends 2-15 pound dumbbells; Jessica is using 7 pound dumbbells for everything. The dumbbell weights listed below are what I used.
- Wide overhead press while marching in place (9# DBs)
- Bring arms/DBs in front of you w/ palms facing floor and pull DBs back to hips turning palms to face each other, while stepping side to side (7# DBs)
- Step forward and back on a diagonal while pressing one arm/DB forward and pulling back (like a slow front punch) (5# DBs)
- Hamstring curls w/ bicep curls (9# DBs)
- Walk forward and back w/ tricep kickbacks (7# DBs)
- Repeat 4 & 5
- (set one DB aside) Hold one DB in both hands in front of you at chest level and stand w/ feet wide, do alternating knee lifts, bringing opposite elbow to knee as it raises (one 7# DB)
- Knee crunches: holding the DB in the same way as #7, raise one knee while crunching elbows down toward knee (one 7# DB)
- Repeat #7