Barre Infused Standing Lower Body Sculpt is part of AngieFitnessTV‘s 15 Minutes to Fit Series. These workouts are meant to be used as finishers–a bit of extra work to tack onto the end of another, longer workout. In this workout Angie also notes that you can stack several of her 15 Minutes to Fit workouts together into a longer workout–which I plan to do tomorrow, so stay tuned for that. But this morning I used this workout as a finisher. I did Kelly Coffey-Meyer‘s Cardio Sculpt Overload and ended my workout with some lower body barre work. It worked really well to finish my legs off. It also served as a cool down and gave me a good stretch. Though I adore Kelly’s Cardio Sculpt Overload and that workout is serving me very well during my recovery from surgery (I do it twice a week), it has something like a 1:30 minute cool down and stretch. And it needs more! I weigh myself down with 23 extra pounds of equipment (weighted vest, belt, ankle weights and gloves) plus the dumbbells used in the workout. I am worn out at the end of Kelly’s workout and need much more of a cool down and stretch than Kelly provides. So the warm up to this workout served as a nice cool down and at the end, Angie gives you a more comprehensive stretch than Kelly does after her long workout. So this was a perfect finisher.
As the title indicates, this is a barre style lower body workout. Each exercise is done for one minute. I wore one pound ankle weights to increase the burn. One pound was plenty today but if I was coming to this workout fresh (rather than after working hard in another workout–and I was wearing 2.5 pound ankle weights during that workout) I think I could manage heavier ankle weights.
Barre Infused Standing Lower Body Sculpt is 18:47 minutes; 30 second intro, 3 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: chair for balance and optional ankle weights.
- Stand beside chair with hand on chair back, raise outside knee in front of you, extend leg straight, bend knee then lower leg
- Repeat #1 on other leg
- Stand beside chair with hand on chair back and lift leg out straight to side
- Repeat #3 on other leg
- Stand behind chair with hands on chair back, lift one leg straight behind you (hip extensions)
- Repeat #5 on other leg
- Still behind chair, wide plie pulse squats with hands on back of chair
- Stand beside chair with hand on chair back, lift outside leg out straight to side and do small circles with toe pointed
- Repeat #8 on other leg
- Stand beside chair with one hand on chair back, lift outside leg on an angle, leg is straight and insole is turned to face ceiling, raise and lower leg in this position
- Repeat #10 on other leg
- Stand with heels together and toes turned out, raise both arms overhead, raise onto toes and hold briefly then lower heels; last 15 seconds remain raised on toes and extend arms out to sides in a T and hold isometrically