Total Body Kettlebell Workout is short but excellent metabolic strength workout using a kettlebell–or multiple kettlebells, since different muscle groups require different levels of resistance (for me at least). It was created by Heather Robertson and she excels not only at creating excellent metabolic strength workouts but some of the best kettlebell workouts out there. This was no exception. However, I don’t feel like this workout is truly “total body”, though kettlebell exercises do a great job of being total body exercises. Still, I needed to combine this workout with something else in order to get a true total body workout (for my purposes at least). Since this workout is so short, I did it in combination with one of Heather’s other kettlebell workouts which is a true total body strength workout (40 Minute Kettlebell Workout // Full Body Strength & Cardio) for an excellent total body metabolic kettlebell strength workout. Between the two workouts I was well worked this morning! I burned a total of 512 calories between the two workouts.
This workout is made up of one circuit of 7 exercises that is repeated 3 times. Each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by a 10 second recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen, counting down your intervals and recoveries. Heather previews the next exercise during the recoveries.
Total Body Kettlebell Workout is 24:45 minutes; 3 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: kettlebell and a fitness mat. Heather is using a 15 pound kettlebell. The kettlebell weights listed below are what I used.
- Kickstand deadlift (single leg deadlift with back toe on the ground behind you) (25# KB)
- Repeat #1 on other leg
- Single arm swing (single arm kettlebell swing, alternate hands at top of swing) (15# KB)
- Sumo & upright row (hold KB handle in both hands, do one sumo squat and at top of squat do one upright row) (20# KB)
- Sit up & twist (lay on mat with knees bent and feet on mat, hold KB handle in both hands in front of chest, do a full sit up, pressing KB overhead at top of sit up, lower KB and twist KB to each side of body before lowering back to mat) (12# KB)
- Push press (hold KB in both hands by handle with bell facing the ceiling, squat and when you stand, push KB overhead) (20# KB)
- High-low swing (kettlebell swings, alternate swinging while in squat and while standing) (15# KB)
- Repeat #1-7 two more times