Low Impact // Total Body HIIT Workout with Weights (No Jumping) is one of Heather Robertson‘s creeper workouts–meaning it creeps up on you. It doesn’t seem too difficult then suddenly you realize you are working hard! I used this as more of a metabolic cardio workout rather than a strength workout. There is strength work in this workout but a lot of the exercises are using dumbbells to increase the intensity of low impact moves. However, if you want to use this workout as a conditioned/toning workout, Heather does manage to hit every muscle group in some fashion. As usual, Heather worked me very well. I burned 355 calories and felt well worked by the end. Another thoroughly enjoyable and intense workout. Heather creates some of the best and most enjoyable low impact workouts out there. I love the length of this workout, too.
This workout is made up of two circuits. Each circuit is repeated. The exercises are all done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a counter in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews your next exercise. This workout is set to good music with no talking. Just follow along with Heather’s perfect form.
Low Impact // Total Body HIIT Workout with Weights (No Jumping) is 48:53 minutes; 2:45 minute warm up and 5 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Heather is using 5 and 10 pound dumbbells. I used a much wider variety of dumbbells. What is listed below is what I used.
- Toe tap & press (holding one DB in both hands, squat and tap each foot out to side once, stand and do an overhead press) (one 15# DB)
- Push up climber (in straight arm plank, do one push up then bring knee to elbow outside of body both sides)
- Side lunge & raise (stand with legs wide, do stationary alternating side lunges, between each side do a bent arm side raise) (7# DBs)
- Knee driver (hold one DB in both hands, do alternating knee raises while raising DB overhead and bringing it down to knee as knee raises) (one 8# DB)
- One arm swing (hold one DB in each hand, do alternating single arm KB swings) (10# DBs)
- Sumo squat & curl (stand with legs wide, do a sumo squat and hold at the bottom while you do one double arm hammer curl before standing) (15# DBs)
- Glute bridge & press (lay on back with knees bent and feet on floor, raise hips/glutes while also doing a chest press) (20# DBs)
- Deadlift lunge & curl (do alternating reverse lunges with a hammer curl, do one deadlift between each lunge) (15# DBs)
- Walking bear plank (start in straight arm plank, walk feet in under body then walk them back out to plank)
- Squat & punch (squat with one cross punch when standing, alternate sides) (5# DBs)
- Repeat #1-10
30 second recovery
- Curtsy & front raise (alternating rear curtsy lunges, holding one DB in both hands, with straight arms, raise DB overhead while in lunge and lower when changing sides) (one 8# DB)
- V crunch & twist (sit on bottom, legs raised off ground, knees bent, torso leaned back, holding one DB in both hands, twist DB to floor beside each hip then extend legs while lowering torso back further) (one 8# DB)
- Lunge combo (alternating reverse lunges, you are also alternating bicep curls with bent arm side raises when in lunge) (7# DBs)
- Walking plank (alternate straight arm plank with elbow plank)
- Step & pull (hold one DB in both hands, hinge torso forward slightly, do alternating step backs (shallow lunges) while pressing DB in front of you each time you step back) (one 5# DB)
- Cross & press (stand with legs wide, hinge forward and bring one DB toward opposite foot, when you stand do a single arm overhead press, alternate sides) (10# DBs–I could have lifted heavier, but I used this as a recovery move)
- Push up & leg lift (do a push up while raising one leg, alternate legs with each push up, you are also doing one superman between each push up)
- Plank rocker (in elbow/forearm plank, rotate hips side to side, lowering hip to mat when rotating)
- Shadow box (alternating front punches) (3# DBs)
- Speed skater (lateral skaters, reaching hand toward floor)
- Repeat #1-10
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.