30 Minute HIIT Workout // With Weights is another excellent total body cardio + strength workout from Heather Robertson. It was deceiving, too. Some exercises I expected to be able to lift heavier but–not happening. For example, the Stand Up & Press (#4), which I have never seen before. I can use as heavy as a 30 pound dumbbell for a French press, depending on how many reps I do. Now, I did not think I could do this particular exercise with a 30 pound dumbbell but I thought a 20 pound dumbbell was doable. Nope. The first time through the circuit I did maybe half the reps of that exercise as Heather did because I was struggling to stand with the 20 pound dumbbell behind my head. So the second time through the circuit I dropped to a 15 pound dumbbell and I was able to keep time with Heather. Anyway, I was working harder than I expected to. I got an excellent workout!
This workout is done interval style. Each exercise is done for 40 seconds followed by 20 seconds of recovery. It is made up of one circuit of 15 exercises that is repeated one time. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Heather previews the next exercise.
30 Minute HIIT Workout // With Weights is 35:53 minutes; 2:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: various dumbbells and a fitness mat. The dumbbell weights below are what I used.
- Hi-Lo swing (hold one DB in both hands, squat while swinging DB between legs to forehead level (arms are straight), stand and swing DB overhead) (one 15# DB)
- Curl, press, twist (hammer curl into overhead press, when doing overhead press twist torso to side (hips stay forward), alternate sides) (10# DBs)
- Power jacks (squat jacks with jumping jack arms)
- Stand up and press (high kneel on the floor while holding one DB behind head with both hands (French press style), stand up and raise DB overhead, lower DB (you are doing an overhead tricep extension/French press) and return to high kneeling) (one 15# DB)
- Inchworm & tuck (start standing, hinge forward at waist, walk hands to plank, do one push up, walk hands back to feet, stand and do one tuck jump)
- Curtsy side lunge (left) (hold one DB goblet style and alternate one curtsy lunge with one side lunge) (one 20# DB)
- Repeat #6 on right leg
- Walking plank jacks (alternate one straight arm plank jack with one forearm plank jack)
- Narrow & wide row (bent over rows, alternate narrow with wide row) (15# DBs)
- Arnold push press (do a regular Arnold press but when DBs/palms are in front of you, squat and stand when pressing DBs overhead) (10# DBs)
- Tricep press combo (lay on mat, knees bent and feet on floor, raise hips into bridge and hold isometrically while doing narrow chest press into lying overhead tricep extension) (10# DBs)
- Squat and raise (side raise and when you lower DBs do a step out squat with DBs hanging between legs, alternate sides with a side raise between each side) (5# DBs)
- Renegade burpee (burpee with renegade rows (both arms) while in plank and an overhead press when standing) (15# DBs)
- Chair pose (held isometrically for 40 seconds)
- Jump squat
- 30 second recovery
- Repeat #1-15
For more info on Heather Robertson’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.