Resistance Band Upper Body is part of AngieFitnessTV‘s 15 Minutes to Fit Series. I am really impressed with this workout! Don’t misunderstand, I have loved all of Angie’s 15 Minute to Fit workouts but for some reason, I never expect a lot out of resistance band workouts. Angie thoroughly worked my upper body in this workout. Now, just like in a strength workout using dumbbells, the key is always to use the appropriate amount of resistance for your strength/fitness level. I own a lot of resistance bands of different levels–we’re talking about 15 different strengths of the tubes with the handles and probably another 10 of the flat therabands (lets not even get into my collection of booty band/resistance loops). We are doing a lot of home improvement projects lately and one of them is updating/improving my workout room (YAY!!!). Our most recent addition is a long rack of hooks where I can hang all of my resistance tubes. So I now have every strength of tube right there in front of me, easy to get to. Which made this workout much more effective for me. If you are using the same band for all of the exercises you are not going to get the most out of the workout. I probably used 5 different bands in the course of this workout. A medium band for bicep/tricep work. A lighter medium band for shoulder work. A heavy band for back work. A heavier medium band for chest work and a light band for the final exercise. I will note below which band I used for each exercise in case you also have more than one band to choose from. If you only own one or two bands then you can always choke up on the band to make exercises more challenging but for some exercises (the back) you really need a heavy band to get the most out of those exercises.
Resistance Band Upper Body is 18:59 minutes; 40 second intro, 3 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: resistance tubes with handles and fitness mat. Each exercise is done for one minute.
- Stand on tube with a handle in each hand, do bicep curls; changes to alternating bicep curls (medium)
- Hinge forward and do tricep kickbacks (medium)
- Squat into overhead press (still standing on band) (lighter medium)
- Stand on band with one foot holding one end of tube in one hand, do a straight arm front raise + straight arm side raise (lighter medium)
- Stand on band with both feet, cross bands and hold under handles, do bent over back rows (heavy)
- Hold tube in both hands, about 12-18 inches of tube between hands, raise arms/band overhead, pull band down behind head pulling out on band as you lower it; changes to pulling the band down/out in front of you (heavier medium)
- Sit on fitness mat with legs extended straight in front of you, loop tube around feet, cross tube and hold tubes under handles, do back rows in this position, 3 pulses with each row (heavy)
- In same starting position as #7, uncross bands and hold a handle in each hand, do T band pulls (lighter medium)
- Still sitting on mat, open legs wide in a V, tube is still looped around one foot, still holding a handle in each hand, keep opposite arm straight and pull tube out to side while also twisting torso and looking over shoulder (light)