Metabolic 300 is the 300th Cathe live workout! Cathe has more than 300 live workouts now and she is still going strong and creating amazing and effective workouts–in spite of a pandemic. How awesome is that? And if you ask me, her live workouts have only gotten better. She has her gym all decorated to celebrate the 300th workout and she can do that because it is just Cathe. Her decorations are not getting in the way of background exercisers because there are none.
The theme for this workout is 300 reps. For the metabolic strength you do 30 exercises and each exercise is done for 10 reps each. In the break down you will only see 28 exercises but that is because 2 of the exercises are repeated on the other side of the body, so they count as 2 exercises. The workout ends with a cardio 300. For that you do 5 cardio exercises. The first 4 cardio exercise are done for 64 reps and the last one is done for 44 reps.
This workout is what you make it. At only 10 reps you can challenge yourself with heavier dumbbells. Since it is a metabolic workout, there are a lot of compound moves, which does limit the amount of weight you can lift, but still–it’s only for 10 reps. You definitely have to give this workout a run through and mark down the weights you were able to use and if you can lift heavier the next time you do this workout. And I think you will want to do it again! This is a fun and effective workout. It is a total body fat burning workout. Unfortunately, my left shoulder was bothering me this morning so I had to lift lighter than I would have liked on some of the exercises. But I still got a good workout.
Metabolic 300 is 48:30 minutes; 1 minute intro, 2:30 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: full step at 10 inches (3 risers), various dumbbells and a fitness mat. I used the same weight as Cathe unless otherwise noted below.
Metabolic Strength 300 (34:30 minutes):
- Alternating rear lunge presses (rear lunge and while lunging do a hammer curl, remain in lunge and do an overhead press, do the lower half of the hammer curl as you return to standing) (10# DBs)
- Squat while doing a bicep curl + one standing bicep curl (10# DBs)
- Step out sumo squats, alternate sides (when in sumo squat do 3 small hops) (one 15# DB)
- Cross back (rear curtsy) lunges, one rep each side + 2 upright rows (Cathe is using 12# DBs; I used 8# DBs)
- Squat with DBs held at shoulder level so that elbows tap tops of thighs (palms are also facing your body) and when you stand do an overhead press turning hands so palms face front (10# DBs)
- One push up then bring one knee to same side elbow on outside of body, alternate sides with a push up between each knee to elbow
- Pullover on step w/ leg extension (lay on step, knees are bent and feet are raised, as you do a double arm pullover, you extend one leg, alternate legs) (Cathe is using 15# DBs; I used 12# DBs)
- Close grip bench press (alternate one chest press with one narrowcast press) (Cathe is using 20# DBs; I used 15# DBs)
- Renegade rows with one hand on step (Cathe is using one 20# + one 5# DB held together in one hand; I used one 25# DB)
- Jump into sumo squat reaching DBs toward floor between legs, jump feet back in, hammer curl into overhead press into overhead tricep extension (12# DBs)
- Rear lunge into a torso twist, alternate sides (while in lunge, rotate torso/DBs toward front leg) (10# DBs)
- Front lunge with a knee raise, when raising knee do a straight arm lateral raise, lower back into lunge then stand, alternate sides (5# DBs)
- Get into modified straight arm side plank (bottom knee is bent), top arm is holding a DB with pinky side of hand facing ceiling, do straight arm raises from floor to ceiling while also raising and lowering top leg (10 reps each side–so this counts as 2 of the 30 exercises) (one 5# DB)
- Down dog + tricep push up
- Tricep dips off step to a pattern (one regular tricep dip + one tricep dip then raise one leg and reach opposite arm toward toe, alternate sides with a regular tricep dip between each side)
- Sit on mat, legs extended in front of you and slightly bent, torso leaned back slightly, lean torso back further with DBs by thighs, as you raise torso do a bicep curl (10# DBs)
- Step out push ups (start in straight arm plank, step one hand out to side and do a push up, alternate sides)
- Sumo squat deadlift (one sumo squat + one wide leg deadlift–keep DBs close together hanging down between legs) (20# DBs)
- Alternating rear hip hinge with single arm rear delt fly, pass DB to other hand as you change legs (Cathe is using one 10# DB; I used one 8# DB)
- Holding one DB in both hands, do a front lunge with a bicep curl while lunging + one straight arm front raise, alternate legs (one 15# DB)
- Alternating side lunges, reaching opposite DB toward foot when lunging, one rep each leg + one hammer curl + one regular bicep curl–this combo equals one rep (12# DBs)
- One single leg deadlift + 2 straight arm side raises (Cathe is using 8# DBs; I used 5# DBs)
- Deadrows (20# DBs; in the future I will use 25# DBs)
- Lay flat on back with legs straight and arms in T on the floor, crunch up raising one straight leg and reaching opposite arm/DB toward foot (5# DBs)
- In straight arm plank, bring one knee under body toward opposite elbow, straighten leg (but don’t put it back on floor) bring knee to same side elbow on outside of body, straighten leg again then bring it under body a second time toward opposite elbow–these are all done using the same leg and this equals one rep, alternate legs
- Bear crawl press (in wide deep sumo squat, fall forward and catch yourself with your hands on floor and do a push up, pushing yourself back to starting position)
- Crab punches (in crab position, alternate reaching one arm across body to (gently) punch the floor on the opposite side of the body, alternate sides)
- Get on all 4s, raise one bent leg, foot to ceiling and lower into a partial tricep push up, alternate legs
Cardio 300 (7 minutes):
- Jumping jacks (64 reps)
- Puddle jumpers (64 reps)
- High/low jabs (with little hops and squat when doing doing low jab) (32 reps each side)
- Cardio pulls (in wide plie/sumo, do squat jumps while reaching one arm from overhead and pulling elbow down to thigh) (32 reps each side)
- Snow boards (for this one you do it in 3 groups of 10 reps + one set of 14 reps)
2 thoughts on “Cathe Live: Metabolic 300”
Unfortunately, my left shoulder was bothering me this morning so I had to lift lighter than I would have liked on some of the exercises. But I still got a good workout.
I’m sorry to hear that. Do you think you just slept funny or, and I don’t mean this to come out the wrong way, have you maybe been pushing yourself (your left arm) just a tiny bit harder with weight load than you should? I’d just hate for you to have any setbacks.
LikeLiked by 1 person
I don’t know. Maybe. I know I am really careful with exercises that cause any discomfort. Pre-surgery I did upright rows with 15 pound dumbbells–now I use 8 pound dumbbells. I think soreness from Cathe’s PHA Barbell workout combined with my shoulder still not being 100% made it more cranky this morning. It felt like sore joint pain. Today for my fitness breaks I’ve been doing all flexibility mobility rather than the walking I usually do. Thanks for your concern though! I am trying to take care of it.