Effective Leg Day Collective – Compound Leg Workout is Day 17 in Caroline Girvan‘s EPIC Heat program. Another excellent and tough lower body workout. Caroline works your entire lower body thoroughly and in such a short amount of time! I tried to lift heavier for some of the exercises so this workout really challenged me. I was working hard with every exercise. Since doing Caroline’s workouts, I started with a 35 pound dumbbell for hip thrusts and have moved up to a 40 pound dumbbell. I didn’t think I would be able to use the 40 pound dumbbell when I did that, but it was a success. So this morning I decided to try a 45 pound dumbbell. It was not a success. It definitely worked my glutes hard but I was struggling–more than I want to struggle during a workout. I could not mentally focus on pushing my legs out against the booty band and with the 40 pound dumbbell I am really good at keeping constant tension on it. Plus, after the 15 second isometric hold (which I was moaning in agony throughout), I had to take a brief personal break before I could carry on with the hip thrusts. Caroline says those little muscle failures are actually a good thing, and I know that is true, but the inability to use the band properly because I was in so much muscle pain indicates to me that I am just not (yet) ready for the 45 pound dumbbell. I will try again at some point.
This workout is done interval style; each exercise is done for 45 seconds followed by 15 seconds of recovery, with the exception of the glute bridges/hip thrusts and the calf raises–you do not get a recovery. There is a timer in the upper left hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
Effective Leg Day Collective is 38:45 minutes; 2 minute intro, no warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells, a chair or bench, a booty band, towel to protect your hips and a fitness mat. Caroline is using 12.5kg/27.5pound dumbbells and 25kg/55 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. I also used my workout bench for the hip thrusts and my square high step at 16 inches for the Bulgarian lunges.
- High squats (squats holding DBs in front of you at shoulder level) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #1 two more times
- 1.5 rep lunge (static/stationary lunges, lower to bottom lunge, raise halfway, lower to bottom of lunge, raise all the way) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #3 on other leg
- Repeat #3 & 4
- Curtsy lunge (cross-back lunge) (18# DBs)
- Repeat #6 on other leg
- Repeat #6 & 7
- Bulgarian lunges (back leg is elevated on chair or step/bench behind you) (16.5# DBs)
- Repeat #9 on other leg
- Repeat #9 & 10
- Paused suite case squat (narrow squat holding DBs at sides, pause at bottom of squat) (25# DBs)
- Repeat #12
- Low lateral lunge (do static alternating side lunges, remain deep in lunge even when moving to other side, holding one DB in both hands) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #14
- Sumo squat w/ pause (pause at bottom of squat) (one 50# DB)
- Repeat #16
- Hip thrusts (place booty band around thighs, lean back against your chair or bench/step, one heavy DB on hips, knees bent and open so there is tension on band, and feet on floor, raise and lower hips) (one 45# DB–will use 40# DB next time)
- Hold isometrically at top of hip thrust for 15 seconds
- Repeat #18
- Repeat #18-20
- RDL w/ pause (pause at bottom of deadlift) (35# DBs)
- Repeat #22 two more times
- Calf raise (20# DBs)
- Pulse at top of calf raise for 15 seconds
- Repeat #24 & 25
- Repeat #24
Finisher: (2 minutes)
- Low lateral lunge (45 seconds) (one 50# DB)
- Sumo squat hold (hold at bottom of squat, no DB/15 seconds)
- Low lateral lunge (no DB/45 seconds)
- 1/2 rep sumo squat (lower all the way to bottom of squat but only raise halfway for final 15 seconds) (one 50# DB)
For more info on Caroline Girvan’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
3 thoughts on “EFFECTIVE Leg Day Collective – Compound Leg Workout | EPIC Heat – Day 17”
You should be so proud of yourself! 😁😁 those are some really heavy weights that you used. I don’t think I’ve gone all the way to 50 lb for anything with Caroline yet. Yay for you! 🎈🎈
Thanks! I bought the 50 pound dumbbell about a month ago. I had up to 45 and I thought that was all I would ever need–until I discovered Caroline’s workouts. Who knows now? Maybe one day I will need 55 and 60 pound dumbbells! Caroline is definitely motivating me to lift heavier again.