Full Body Strength // At Home Workout is a short but thorough total body metabolic strength workout from Heather Robertson. Due to the length, I used this workout as a finisher for one of Heather’s longer workouts (Super Shred // Strength & Cardio Workout). So I came to this workout after just finishing another intense workout. This workout definitely finished me off. I cannot vouch for how intense it is coming to it fresh, but between the two workouts I burned 500 calories this morning. This workout is made up of compound exercises that work multiple muscle groups. Because of this you cannot always lift heavy dumbbells. For example, the first exercise is a deadlift + upright row. Normally I use 35 pound dumbbells for a deadlift but because you are doing an upright row at the top of the deadlift I was limited to 12 pound dumbbells. So my shoulders got the real work in that exercise. But I wasn’t too upset because Super Shred had deadlifts in it so I was able to lift heavy in that workout. So between the two workouts I still got a great total body strength workout and it worked perfectly as my finisher this morning. The circuits felt a bit uneven, intensity-wise. They were both metabolic but I found the second circuit much more intense. Who knows, though. That could have been more due to the fact I was approaching the end of a 67 minute workout and pretty fatigued by that point.
This workout is made up of 2 circuits. Each circuit is done twice. The exercises are all done interval style: 45 seconds of work followed by 15 seconds of recovery. There is a timer in the lower right hand corner of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recoveries Heather previews the next exercise.
Full Body Strength // At Home Workout is 27:43 minutes; 3 minute warm up and 3:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Heather does not reveal the weight of her dumbbells but it looks like she is using a set of 10 pound dumbbells and one 25 pound dumbbell. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Deadlift + upright row (12# DBs)
- Lunge & press (stationary lunge w/ single arm overhead press at top of lunge) (one 15# DB)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Squat & delt raise (squat, at top of squat do a bent arm lateral raise) (8# DBs)
- Full burpee with 3 push ups when in plank
- Repeat #1-5
30 second rest
- Plank row & leg lift (in straight arm plank holding one DB in each hand, do one renegade row each arm the lift each leg once) (25# DBs)
- Sumo pulse & front raise (holding one DB in both hands, lower into sumo squat, pulse 2x and as you stand, do a straight arm front raise continuing to raise DB until it is overhead) (one 20# DB)
- Bridge & chest press (lay on back on mat, knees bent and feet on mat close to glutes, raise hips into bridge and hold, do one chest press, lower DBs and hips at the same time) (22.5# DBs)
- Push press twist (hold one DB in each hand at shoulder level, squat and at top of squat do a single arm overhead press while twisting torso to one side, alternate arms/sides with a squat between each side) (13# DBs)
- Ninja hop & curl (start in straight arm plank but holding DBs, jump feet to hands so you are in a deep squat, remain in deep squat while doing a double arm hammer curl, place DBs on floor again and jump feet back to plank) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #1-5