Shoulders of Steel Dumbbell Shoulder Workout is Day 36 in Caroline Girvan‘s EPIC Endgame program. Wow! What an excellent shoulder burner! Caroline works your shoulders thoroughly and from all angles with this workout. Many of the exercises are working other upper body muscle groups as well–upper back and arms. So it is a very nice upper body workout. But, of course, what is really fried are your shoulders! My shoulders were so fatigued by the end I dropped to 6 pound dumbbells for the finisher. Now I feel like I should have stayed with 8 pound dumbbells though. Maybe next time I do this workout I will.
This workout has one circuit of 8 exercises that is done 3 times. All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage. The intro to this workout is a long one but I suggest listening to it because Caroline gives a lot of excellent form pointers.
Shoulders of Steel Dumbbell Shoulder Workout is 46:31 minutes; 4 minute intro, no warm up and 2:15 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and a fitness mat. Caroline is using 9kg/19.8 pound and 4kg/8.8 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Alternating bent over rear delt fly (8# DBs)
- Arnold press (16.5# DBs)
- Arc raise (straight arm front raise to the front with palms facing each other, at top of lift when DBs are at shoulder level, arc top ends of DBs toward each other so that ends of DBs almost touch) (8# DBs)
- Partial to lateral raise (raise DBs halfway to shoulder level, lower then raise DBs all the way to shoulder level) (8# DBs)
- 21s frontal (bottom, top, full) (hold one DB in both hands, for the first 20 seconds raise DB to shoulder, for the second 20 seconds raise DB from shoulder level to overhead, for the 3rd/final 20 seconds do a full front raise from thighs to overhead) (one 15# DB)
- 1/2 rep press (full press every 10 seconds) (raise arms/DBS into goal post, press DBs up halfway for 10 seconds then do a full shoulder press, lower back to goal post and repeat) (16.5# DBs the first time through the circuit; 15# DBs the last 2 times)
- Pike push ups
- Upright row (13# DBs)
- Repeat #1-8 two more times
Finisher: Partial lateral raises, 100 reps (only raise DBs halfway) (6# DBs)
For more info on Caroline Girvan’s workouts and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “SHOULDERS OF STEEL Dumbbell Shoulder Workout | EPIC Endgame Day 36”
Today I did a couple fun workouts from Heather. I started out with her latest 30 min Total Body HiiT. Although she uses weights, this is much more of a metabolic than strength workout. Because of that, instead of a more “standard” abs workout from Caroline, I elected to switch it out for another of Heather’s hot-off-the-presses 20 min HiiT Abs. I got a great cardio workout between the two and they complemented each other well. That said, I do want to shoehorn in an UB workout either tomorrow or Saturday so I’ll have to do some switching around.
I’ll get to Heather’s new workouts one day. Once I get through both of their 10/12 week programs I am diving right into Caroline’s Iron Series. It looks awesome.