30 Min Muscle Building Full Body Workout is Day 19 in Caroline Girvan‘s Iron Series. What an excellent total body strength workout! Caroline exhausts each muscle group completely before moving on to the next muscle group. Each muscle group gets 3 exercises and by that 3rd exercises, whatever muscle group we were working was done. Especially my shoulders. On Friday I just started using 20s for my shoulders (Day 25 workout) but this morning I could only manage one set with the 20s today before dropping to 18s. But one set is better than nothing, right? I used Heather Robertson‘s Six Pack Standing Abs workout as my finisher. That workout uses very light dumbbells but my shoulders were so fried from this workout that even those light dumbbells were making my shoulders burn!
All of the exercises in this workout are done interval style: 60 seconds of work followed by 30 seconds of rest. There is a timer in the upper left hand side of the screen counting down your intervals and recoveries. During the recovery Caroline previews the next exercise. There is also a little bar at the bottom of the screen that counts down the entire workout time as a percentage.
30 Min Muscle Building Full Body Workout is 36:47 minutes; 2:04 minute intro, no warm up and 3:45 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells and fitness mat. Caroline is using 20kg/44.1 pound, 15kg/33.1 pound and 10kg/22 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used.
- Chest press (25# DBs)
- Repeat #1
- Push ups
- Static lunge (stationary lunges) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #4 on other side of body
- Rear step fwd lean lunge (reverse step back lunges, hinge torso forward over front leg while in lunge, hold one DB in same side hand as back leg) (one 25# DB)
- Repeat #6 on other side of body
- Pull overs (one 40# DB)
- Repeat #8
- Double arm bent over row (30# DBs)
- Paused goblet squat (pause briefly at bottom of squat) (one 45# DB)
- Repeat #11
- 1.5 rep goblet squat (lower to bottom of squat, raise halfway, lower to bottom fo squat, raise all the way) (one 45# DB)
- Shoulder press (arms in goalpost) (20# DBs)
- Repeat #14 (18# DBs_
- Push press (shoulder press but use legs to assist when pushing DBs overhead, lower DBs slowly) (18# DBs)
- RDL (slow eccentric) (Romanian deadlift, lower slowly and rise at normal speed) (37.5# DBs)
- Repeat #17
- 1.5 rep RDL (lower all the way to bottom of deadlift, raise halfway, lower all the way to bottom of deadlift then raise all the way (30# DBs)
Finisher: One bent over double arm row + one deadlift + one squat + one overhead press + one reverse lunge each leg–repeat this combo for 60 seconds (18# DBs)