High/Low HIIT is a very cool workout–more so than I expected. In fact, it is the Ripped with HIIT premix you always wanted but wasn’t offered on DVD. A workout that alternates the high impact/plyometric HIITs from Ripped w/ HIIT with the low impact HIITs from the same series. I LOVED it! Excellent and intense. I have to note that I did not get the full impact of the workout this morning due to internet buffering problems. The workout kept freezing and I would have to back out of it and resume playing because if I didn’t, the buffering never “caught up.” This happened repeatedly in the first 15 minutes of the workout then finally stopped and I was able to do the rest of it w/out any issues. But this is a HIIT workout so I got more rest periods than I should have, making it seem easier to me than it actually is. However, I still felt I got an excellent workout–so I am sure it will be even better when I do it w/out the buffering issue! And I will be returning to this one.
Another bonus about this workout is the structure. It is 42 minutes long but the last 9 minutes is core work and a short stretch. She gives you a cool down and a standing stretch immediately after the HIIT workout, so if all you want is a 33 minute HIIT workout w/ warm up + stretch–just stop it after the first 33 minutes! I love that about this workout as well since it works perfectly as a doubles workout, or as an add on after a short strength workout. So another gem from Cathe Live.
High/Low HIIT is 42 minutes long; 7 minute warm up, 23 minute high/low HIIT, 3 minute cool down/standing stretch, 7:30 minute core, 1:30 minute stretch. It aired live on 12/11/14; here is the video clip. Equipment needed: one 10 pound dumbbell and a mat (mat will be used as a marker during the HIIT and also for core work). You will do two sets of most exercises. I don’t break the core work down in detail because it is pretty detailed, but Cathe basically did a long crunch series with lots of different leg positions and movements. It was very challenging.
Lay mat out for first series of exercises:
- Half Circle Shuffle Springs (shuffle drop from one end of the mat to the other)
- Jump Shot w/ Knee Repeater (circle arms while doing knee up at corner of mat (like it’s a step), then do 6 elbow to knee; alternate sides)
- High Reaching Pop Squats (180 plyo pop squats while straddling the mat and reaching arms overhead when jumping)
- Wide Football Runs straddling mat (run forward and tap mat w/ fingertips, run back and tap mat w/ fingertips)
- 3 Power Hops forward straddling mat then 2 Plyo Jacks and jump turn
- 3 skaters over mat and one jump
- Snow boarders
Put mat away and grab 10# DB
- Pivoting sumos w/ DB
- Jump forward, jump back and jump rope, plyo jack, jump rope; repeat then immediately do 2 sets of box jumps; do this series twice on each side of body, take a brief rest and repeat the whole thing
- Corner to Corner Diagonal Lunges w/DB
- Vertical Butt Kicks, 3 sets of 10 reps
- Explosive Side Lunges; alternate sides (w/ DB)
- Grapevine + 6 Power Scissors (alternating jump lunges)
- Marching Sumos w/ DB
- One Arm Burpees
- Travel Bob and Weaves (3 bob and weaves then travel (shuffle step) to side while circling DB)
- A long series of crunch variations w/ different leg positions and movements (5:30 minutes)
- While lying on your back, plant one elbow on the ground with the fingers pointing straight up in the air; the other arm lifts up, raising your torso while your other elbow remains planted on the mat
- Elbow plank hold; add marching feet; changes to out and in feet; straight arm plank hold; lower to elbow plank and do plank jacks, raise to straight arm plank and do plank jacks; keep alternating