Full Body Barre Express is a very intense little cardio workout from Linda Wooldridge. Though it is 21 minutes long the actual “work” period is 16 minutes long. This is another workout that is available both on DVD and YouTube. I own the DVD and there are two other workouts included on the DVD, so that review will be going up at a later date. But since this workout is also available free on YouTube I’m posting a review now.
Full Body Barre Express is 21 minutes long; no warm up and stretch is 3:30 minutes. The structure is 16 exercises, each done for 50 seconds with 10 seconds of rest. You alternate toning moves w/ cardio moves. You use light handweights and a barre or chair. The handweights are to increase intensity. Linda used 1kg (2 pound) handweights. I used 3, 5 and 8 pound handweights. I found this to be very intense. It definitely builds and, as usual, Linda burns out whatever muscle she is making you work. It was 16 minutes of hard work! Though my FitBit didn’t agree, it felt as if it got to the HIIT level. Excellent little workout! I listed below what dumbbell weight I used for each exercise. The weight of the dumbbells you use will contribute to the intensity of the workout.
- In plié squat, raise and lower heels while doing bicep hammer curls (8# DBs)
- Plie jack touching DBs to floor then push DBs overhead while doing two foot cross/hop-jacks (5# DBs)
- Come into lunge and shift hips forward and back while doing bicep hammer curls pushing back to tricep kickbacks (but not leaning torso forward) (8# DBs)
- Step back, touching one DB to floor then jump up raising knee (5# DBs)
- Repeat 3 & 4 on other side of body
- W/ one hand on barre/chair, raise onto toes while bending knees and pulse while holding other arm out in front of you and rotating DB (one 3# DB)
- Burpee w/ two jumps, pushing DBs overhead (5# DBs)
- W/ on hand on barre/chair (opposite side from #6), raise onto toes while bending knees tuck hips in and out while holding other arm out in front of you and rotating DB (one 3# DB)
- Swinging hinge w/ a hop at top while kicking one leg in front of you, alternate legs (the swinging is swinging the DBs up and down at sides as you hinge forward) (8# DBs)
- With hands on chair back/barre, leg raised and back in attitude, pulse leg up 4x then kick it out in attitude position 4x
- Start in down dog, kick one leg up in 3 leg dog w/ a jump, bring same knee in under chest then do 4 mountain climbers
- Repeat #10 & #11 on other leg
- W/ hand on back of chair/barre, feet in first position but up on toes and lowered in squat, reach forward touching one hand to floor then reaching same arm back behind you while tucking hips in
- Frog jump forward, landing in deep plié squat and stay in plié squat and do 2 bicep curls (elbows are against inner thighs), frog jump back and repeat bicep curls (so frog jump forward and back w/ bicep curls in deep plié each time) (8# DBs)
For more info on Barlates and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.
2 thoughts on “Barlates: Full Body Barre Express”