Mix and Match HIIT is another very cool workout collection from Linda Wooldridge. It is made up of five 10 minute, very intense segments. And it is extremely varied. It has a little of everything I’ve come to love from Linda’s Barlates workouts–cardio, barre, kettlebell work, some barre-kickboxing, body weight strength mat work and it moves fast. Every segment is done using her 50/10 structure–50 seconds of work with 10 seconds of recovery. There is also a separate warm up and stretch. There are several ways you can use this DVD. You can chose “play all” which is 61 minutes long and begins with the warm up, plays all 5 segments, one right after the other, and ends with the stretch. The only break you get is the approx. 30 second intro at the beginning of each segment (that and your 10 second recoveries between each exercise). You can go to the chapter menu and pick and choose. Or you can do a premix. The premixes take each segment and add the warm up and cool down to it for a 22 minute workout–that’s the first 5 premixes. The last 4 premixes pair two of the segments together (plus warm up and stretch) for a 32 minute workout.
This is an incredible collection. The first time I did this, I did “play all” and got a super intense 61 minute workout. I loved it because it was so varied. Even within each segment you do something different every minute. And what I love so much about Linda’s workouts is you get everything in them–cardio and strength. No, it isn’t heavy strength workout but it is the barre variety body weight conditioning, which I really like. And her workouts are mostly low impact. A few of the segments have some impact, but nothing crazy. They are all primarily low impact. I prefer to use these types of workouts for my cardio workouts. I know cardio is necessary but I like to get something more than just cardiovascular fitness out of my workouts–so workouts like these (cardio barre), metabolic weight training and kickboxing are my favorite forms of cardio because I am getting more than just cardio from them. Anyway, this one is a major winner. I love it and will be using this one a lot.
The warm up is 5 minutes long and the stretch is 7 minutes long. For all of these workouts you need a set of light weights (Linda used 1 and 2 pound dumbbells), a kettlebell (Linda used a 10 pound kettlebell) and a mat. I used 2 and 3 pound dumbbells and 3 different kettlebells–10, 15 and 20 pounds. I will note in the break downs below what I used. And all of the workouts do each exercise for 50 seconds with 10 seconds of rest between exercises.
Standing Barre (10:30 minutes): Linda uses light dumbbells–they are used for every single move in the workout. I used 3 and 2 pound hand weights. Mostly the 3s but a few of the exercises even the 3 pounders were burning my arms out and I had to drop to 2 pounders (#3 & 4).
- Plie squat side to side and when you return to standing, criss-cross straight arms in front of you
- Pulsing plié squats; alternate small criss-cross arms and small figure 8 arms
- Side lunge swinging straight arms to side then chair pose w/ arms overhead (all lunges to same side)
- Remain in side lunge, both arms out straight to side and circle one while holding the other arm stationary
- Repeat 3 & 4 on other side of body
- Lunge doing a hammer curl then raise back leg into air while hinging torso forward and doing tricep kickback
- Repeat #6 on other side of body
- Start on toes, legs apart (one in front of the other) about 12 inches and lower into a shallow squat, spine straight; pulse 4x, bringing feet together and pulse 4 times, step foot back about a foot and pulse 4x–never coming out of the shallow squat–arms are bent w/ DBs pulsing toward shoulders
- In a lunge, tuck hips forward while doing chest press arms; arms change to chest fly arms
Ballet Box (10:30 minutes): Linda uses light dumbbells–they are used for every single move in the workout. I used 2 and 3 pound dumbbells. Again, mostly the 3s but on #7 I found the one arm punching bag move a little awkward w/ 3 pound dumbbells so I dropped to my 2s.
- Side kick 2x then lower into deep curtsy lunge w/ hands on floor and do 2 knee ins
- In side lunge, punch down 4x then come to standing, crossing one leg in front of the other and jumping
- Jack + side kick–alternate sides
- Repeat #1 & 2 on other side of body
- Set DBs on floor in front of you and come into straight arm plank; 2 plank jacks then pick up one DB and punch front, side, front, side–alternate arms
- Front kick + back kick punching arms front then doing tricep kickback when kicking back
- Hop 4x while doing punching bag w/ one arm then do 4 skaters while punching down
- Repeat #6 & 7 on other side of body
Barre Bell HIIT (10:30 minutes): Linda used a 10 pound kettlebell. I used 10, 15 and 20 pound kettlebells. I indicate below which kettlebell I used for each exercise.
- Single arm alternating KB swings (20# KB)
- In modified straight arm side plank pulse straight top leg up 2x then stand and punch both arms overhead while bringing leg into tree pose
- Plie squat + 2 overhead presses; alternate arms (15# KB)
- Repeat #2 on other leg
- Wood chops (10# KB)
- Lay on side, legs straight and top arm behind head–pull top knee into top elbow 2x then keep leg bent, foot against thigh and raise both legs bringing elbow to meet knee again–do this 2x also, alternate between these two moves
- Repeat 5 & 6 on other side of body
- In lunge, do 2 single arm rows, come to standing while raising knee and bringing KB to shoulder (15# KB)
- Repeat #8 on other side of body
Cardio Interval Tone (10:30 minutes): Linda uses light dumbbells. I used 3 pound dumbbells.
- 3 jump lunges then hold and circle arms 2x
- Place hands/DBs on floor and do 2 knee pull ins, stand jump w/ knee raise then do 2 standing knee pulls
- Place hands/DBs on ground and do 2 knee pulls then stand, raising back leg off ground and do 2 one leg squats, holding DBs in front of you
- Repeat #2 & 3 on other side of body
- 2 jacks then bend over, placing DBs/hands on ground and kick one leg into air 2x–alternate legs
- In plié squat, alternate raising heels while holding DBs straight in front of you and doing small circles
- In lunge, torso hinge forward, do static lunges w/ tricep kickbacks
- In straight arm plank, walk both feet up to one hand, jump feet back then tilt hip to side 2x; alternate sides
- Straight arm plank to elbow plank back to straight arm plank then lower one elbow to ground and do a push up; alternate which arm goes down for push up
Total Body Mat (10:30 minutes): No equipment except a fitness mat. 50 seconds of work, 10 seconds of rest.
- In quadruped/beast jack feet 4x then kick one leg up to ceiling 2x; alternate legs
- In crab, jack feet 2x then do 4 hip raises
- 2 side lying tricep push ups then push up into straight arm side plank and do 4 hip raises
- Repeat #3 on other side of body
- Do one push up while bringing one knee to outside of same side elbow then do 2 knee ins under body then swing straight leg out to side 2x
- Lay on one hip, raise straight legs off floor and scissor legs 4x then do 2 straight leg jack knifes
- Repeat 5 & 6 on other side of body
- In down dog, kick one leg up 2x, lift straight leg 3x then circle straight leg 4x
- Repeat #8 on other leg
Premixes (All of the premixes contain warm up & stretch):
- Standing Barre: 21 minutes
- Ballet Box: 22 minutes
- Barre Bell HIIT: 22 minutes
- Cardio Interval Tone: 22 minutes
- Total Body Mat: 22 minutes
- Standing Barre + Ballet Box: 32 minutes
- Cardio Interval Tone + Total Body Mat: 32 minutes
- Ballet Box + Barre Bell HIIT: 32 minutes
- Standing Barre + Total Body Mat: 32 minutes