Met Con stands for Metabolic Conditioning and it is another excellent metabolic strength training workout from Jessica Smith. I used this as my cardio doubles workout. With the right weights, I found it pretty intense. I got cardio and conditioning, plus (as usual) it was very enjoyable. If I wanted to get more out of this workout (more than just a metabolic cardio conditioning workout that is) I would use heavier weights. That would also increase the cardio/metabolic factor as well as giving my muscles more work. I did feel that on the majority of the exercises I was capable of lifting heavier, but since that wasn’t my purpose when I did this workout, I kept my weights heavy enough to raise the intensity but not burn my muscles out; however I did feel it.
This workout is structured in circuits. The first two circuits contain strength exercises that work both the upper and lower body and end with a cardio exercise. The 3rd and final circuit is just strength work. You do each circuit twice.
Met Con is 38 minutes long; 5 minute warm up and 2 minute stretch. Equipment: various dumbbells (at least one set of heavier and one set of lighter dumbbells) and a mat. I used more than two sets of dumbbells; the dumbbells I used are what are listed below. Jessica used 5 and 10 pound dumbbells.
- Stationary lunge w/ one arm overhead press (one 10# DB)
- Pulsing stationary lunge w/ one arm row (one #15 DB)
- Repeat 1 & 2 on other side of body
- Push up into side plank, alternate sides; ends w/ plank hold
- Decelerating squat jumps; hold low squat isometrically
- Repeat 1-5
- Alternating side lunges w/ rear delt fly while lunging and a hammer curl when standing between lunges (6# DBs)
- Step forward w/ front press (5# DBs)
- Narrow pulsing squat w/ tricep kickbacks w/ palms turning to the ceiling at top of press (6# DBs)
- Mountain climbers
- Repeat 7-10
- Chest press in half way up + all the way up pattern (15# DBs)
- Keep arms/DBs straight and extended to ceiling, raise straight legs to ceiling–raise and lower straight legs (still holding 15# DBs)
- Lay on stomach with legs extended and raised and arms extended in front of you off ground, bend arms pulling elbows back and raising chest while bending knees and bringing heels to bottom
- In elbow plank, pike bottom up then lower while bringing one knee to outside of elbow; alternate sides
- Repeat 12-15
For more info on JessicaSmithTV and other (free) streaming workouts I’ve sampled and reviewed, check out my Streaming page.