Jiggle Free Buns is part of The Firm’s TransFirmer system. It is led by Pam Cauthen Mariwether. Not counting Express Total Body Shaping, I always found Pam’s workouts some of the tougher Firm workouts and this one is no exception. I recall this one and Super-Charged Sculpting from my Firm days and they both always managed to burn my lower body out at some point during the workout. And for where I am now, fitness-wise, this workout definitely challenged me this morning! I got a great lower body workout. As mentioned in the review of Jiggle Free Arms, I usually did this workout in combination with one of the other two Jiggle Free workouts (the other is Jiggle Free Abs) but mostly with Jiggle Free Arms. Together, they give you an excellent total body workout. This morning, however, I followed this workout with Cathe‘s Body Fusion Lower Body add on and I felt my legs were well worked.
This is one of those TransFirmer workouts where you either have to have the TransFirmer to do the entire workout (not all parts of the workout–just 3 circuits), or more than one step that can you use in different positions. The TransFirmer is two full length steps–one is 6 inches, one is 8 inches, they can be stacked so you also have a 14 inch high step and there are ridges so the 6 inch step fits securely into the 8 inch step to create an incline. I no longer have the TransFirmer. I gave it away when I finally got the incline wedges for my club step, but I still have my old Firm Box. It inclines but doesn’t have the ability to be 3 different levels, it only does 6 and 14 inches + it inclines. Here is how I substituted for not having a TransFirmer. I had my club step set up at 8 inches. I used my Firm Box for 6, 14 and incline circuits. It worked well. In order to do this workout as presented, you have to have two steps for the warm up and circuit 2, and you have to have an 8 inch step plus an incline step in front of it for circuits 3 & 4. Some of moves/step combos used are easily modifiable if you don’t have two steps, some aren’t (the modifier does modify some steps using only the 6 inch step). During Circuit 2, Pam does a step she calls “hot cross buns” that I have no clue how to modify without having the two steps set up beside each other. I also have no reason to come up with a modification since, even though I don’t have a TransFirmer anymore, do have two steps of different height. So someone else could probably come up with a modification.
This is an excellent and challenging lower body cardio + strength workout. The cardio has impact, but there is a low impact modifier.
Jiggle Free Buns is 33 minutes long; 2 minute intro, 3 minute warm up and 2:15 minute cool down/stretch. Equipment: TransFirmer or step that inclines and dumbbells. Pam and crew are using 3, 5 and 8 pound dumbbells. The weights listed below are what I used. There is a beginner/low impact modifier. The workout begins with both the 6 inch and the 8 inch portion of the TransFirmer in front of you for the warm up (the 6 inch is right in front of the 8 inch so they are like stairs).
Circuit 1: Dumbbells and TransFirmer is in same position as it was for warm up but you only really need the 6 inch portion.
- Squats; add glute lift (raising leg behind you) (15# DBs)
- Side lunge onto 6 inch portion of TransFirmer; hold lunge isometrically for 3 counts (15# DBs)
- Squats; hold squat isometrically for 3 counts; add raising one foot while holding squat isometrically (15# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other leg
- Deadlifts (25# DBs)
- Squat and hold; add pulses (25# DBs)
Circuit 2: Step cardio, TransFirmer is in same position as it was for warm up, but unlike Circuit 1, you need both steps to do this circuit (this is the circuit with the “hot cross buns” step).
Circuit 3: TransFimer on incline and dumbbells. You use the incline and the 8 inch portion of the step. I had my club step at 8 inches and my Firm Box on an incline in front of it. The modifier however does #1 on the floor so you can just follow her if you don’t have the equipment.
- One foot is on the 8 inch portion of step (not the incline), rear lunges then float other leg to front of step at top of lunge; float changes to glute lift to rear after lunge; changes to rear lunge, glute lift then bring knee in front of you, back to glute lift then lower back to lunge; stand on one leg on step and do pulsing glute lifts (15# DBs)
- On the floor do rear lunges (15# DBs)
- Front lunges onto incline; hold at bottom of lunge and rotate torso toward leg on incline (2 sets on each leg) (15# DBs)
- Repeat #1 on other leg
Circuit 4: Step cardio w/ TransFirmer on incline. You use the incline and the 8 inch portion of the step. I had my steps set up the same as Circuit 3.
Circuit 5: TransFirmer @ 14 inches and dumbbells
- Leg press first to the back then to the side; changes leg press to the back w/ 3 pulses (12# DBs)
- Step on and off step, first narrow then wide (no DBs)
- Hover squats (start sitting on step, raise off step a few inches and hold for 3 counts); changes to hovering for longer and sliding one foot in and out while holding squat isometrically (12# DBs)
- Plie squats; add heel lifts; hold plie squat isometrically; add pulses (12# DBs)
Circuit 6: Cardio using TransFirmer @ 14 inches.