Burn & Shape is a pink Firm workout led by trainer Emily Welsh. This is another total body cardio + strength workout. I didn’t think I remembered the workout before I did it, but once I did it this morning, I remembered why I didn’t like this workout. I have no problem with compound exercises that incorporate upper and lower body but when it starts to get awkward, that’s when you lose me. I did not like this workout when I did it many years ago and I still did not care for it this morning.
First let me say it is a good total body strength workout. Emily did hit all the major muscle groups. And not every move is awkward but a large percentage of them were awkward to me and I did not enjoy this workout. The awkwardness started from the very beginning. The warm up had moves I had trouble following! Granted, that could be due to the fact I am working out at 4:30am and very tired. But that also applies to every workout I do–I get up every morning Monday through Friday at 4:20am so that I start working out at 4:30am. That is why warm ups are so important for me. They need to actually get me warmed up (and awake) without making me think too hard. Usually by the time a workout actually starts (after the warm up is over) I am awake and ready to work hard. Cathe has always been the best (for me) at warming me up properly with nothing complicated and slowly building the intensity. But not in this workout. I was getting confused right from the beginning.
In short, it is an effective total body cardio + strength workout but I didn’t enjoy it at all due to awkward combos of both strength and even some of the cardio combos (and the warm up). I will not be returning to this one.
Burn & Shape is 43 minutes; 50 second intro, 7 minute warm up and 2:30 minute stretch. Equipment: dumbbells. I do not know what weight Emily and crew’s dumbbells were. The weights listed below are what I used. There is a beginner modifier.
- Squats; add overhead press; add raising straight legs to side, alternate legs (11# DBs)
- Lunge step forward then lunge step back; add back rows; add a glute lift after lunge step forward (13# DBs)
- Bicep curls; changes to partial bicep curls; changes back to full bicep curls (13# DBs)
- Repeat #2 on other side of body
- Wide plie squats holding one DB in front of you and the other behind you; add a front raise w/ front arm and side raise w/ back arm, hold them at top and rotate, lowering arms so their position is swapped (5# DBs)
- Bent over rear delt flys; changes to lifting one arm to the side and raising it to ceiling to a slow count (also rotating torso as you raise the DB) (5# DBs)
Circuit 2: step front, back, front + 2 hops to change lead; bob and weave; shuffle side to side; hamstring + knee pull; alternating front lunges (there are arm movements with all of these lower body combos)
- Alternating 4 count rear lunge holding one DB in both hands; add overhead tricep extension (one 15# DB)
- Push ups while holding one DB (one 18# DB)
- Kneeling lunge w/ one foot and one knee on the ground, do one arm row (one 18# DB)
- Wide squats; add wide bicep curls; add a pivot to the side at top of squat, alternate sides (11# DBs)
- Repeat #3 on other arm
- Repeat #2 w/ DB in other hand
Circuit 4: side to side step tap; add knee lift; squat side to side; add a kick after the squat; add a reverse lunge after the kick; squat jump + 2 hops (there are arm movements with all of these lower body combos)
- Side lunges; add a leg sweep across after lunge (15# DBs)
- Deadlift + row; add 2 tricep kickbacks after row; changes to just tricep kickbacks; add isometric hold at top of kickback (10# DBs)
- Walking lunges, 2 forward and 2 back; add hammer curl to overhead press (10# DBs)
- Hold one DB in both hands and balance on one leg, raising and lowering other knee, tapping toe to floor when lowering; add leaning torso back when tapping toe; add twisting torso/DB toward knee when raising it (one 10# DB)
- Repeat #4 on other side of body
- Straight arm plank hold; drop to knees and do tricep push ups; raise back to toes for another plank hold
- Lay on back, knees bent and feet raised off floor, do chest flys; add alternating leg extensions (10# DBs)
- Still on back, knees bent and feet on floor, hands behind head, do basic crunches; hold at top of crunch, extend arms, bring arms back behind head then lower
- Reverse crunches; add hip swivels to each crunch; add upper body crunch that angles toward the side that hips are swiveling
- Full crunch; add extending legs; add wrapping arms under bottom at top of crunch and overhead when legs are extended
- Place feet back on floor and do half circle crunches, alternate sides
- Still on back, hands behind head, knees bent and feet on floor, alternate bringing knees to chest; add upper body crunch, pulling elbows down from overhead to floor with each crunch