#193 Booty Max is a lower body triset workout and I love Cathe‘s triset workouts! So I was very excited about this one. It is made up of 4 trisets and each triset is repeated twice. But Cathe starts working you hard before the “official” trisets even start. In fact, part of the warm up is a triset. Cathe says that this workout starts with a “regular” warm up then moves into a more aggressive warm up. In the breakdown below, I only counted the regular warm up as the warm up. I started the workout breakdown when the warm up becomes more aggressive since all of these “warm up” exercises are not warm up exercises when they appear in her other workouts! Especially since she is not even using lighter dumbbells than she uses when they appear in other workouts. This btw, when previewing this workout, started scaring me for the rest of the workout. If this is the “warm up”, what was I getting myself into?
All that was written before having actually done the workout. Now that I have done it–there was good reason to be concerned! It is an excellent but tough workout. And it is very metabolic so I burned a ton of calories and was even in my peak heart rate zone at times (according to my FitBit). I return to Cathe’s live triset workouts more frequently than some of her others and this one is no exception. I will definitely be purchasing the download. This is one that can grow with you, too. I noted on several exercises that in the future I could increase the step height and the weight I use to increase the challenge. Though as presented, this workout still worked me hard.
Cathe spent a lot more time than usual during this workout demonstrating form. Which is great because it makes me pay closer attention to my form while she is demonstrating. And I love the shirt that Cathe is wearing during the workout. What she is wearing in this workout looks like my kind of workout clothes. I wear high waist yoga pants that end below my knees and a loose shirt (and a sports bra underneath of course). After 20+ years of working out I finally found my sweet spot in workout clothes about a year ago and Cathe is wearing it in this workout. You can do Cathe’s live workouts by subscribing to her streaming site or purchasing the individual downloads. Here is a video clip of this workout.
Booty Max is 53:30 minutes; 7 minute warm up and 3 minute stretch. Equipment: high step with 3 risers (square step @ 10 inches), barbell with plates and dumbbells (Cathe is using 8-15 pound dumbbells). Cathe says the barbell is at 20-25 pounds to start. In Triset 3 she adds more plates and says that increases her barbell to 40-45 pounds. I used the same dumbbell weights as Cathe did but my barbell was heavier.
Warm Up Triset (this triset is not repeated):
- 4 pivoting sumo squats, alternating sides + 4 side to side sumo squats, alternating sides (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Squat Toss (transfer one DB from hand to hand as you squat) (Cathe is using one 10# DB)
- 6 slow calf raises + one slow reverse lunge, alternate legs on the lunge w/ 6 calf raises between each lunge; changes to 8 fast calf raises + 2 slow calf raises + reverse lunge (still alternating legs for lunge); changes to 2 slow calf raises + one slow lunge (Cathe is using 15# DBs)
- Barbell squats to various tempos (I used 40# BB)
- Stationary lunges (Cathe is using 15# DBs)
- Alternating side lunges, reaching DB down toward foot when lunging (Cathe is using 10# DBs)
- Repeat #1-3
- Step ups onto step (one foot always remains on the step, step the other foot on and off the step) (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Plie barbell squats to various tempos (I used 40# BB)
- Side leg lift with one arm front swing (one foot remains on the step the entire time while the other leg lifts out to the side) (Cathe is using one 8# DB)
- Repeat #1-3
Triset #3: (this is where Cathe adds plates to her barbell to make it heavier)
- Elevated push dip, singles and pulses (remove platform and one riser (6 inches), in stationary lunge with back foot on 6 inch step behind you, hinge torso forward and do partial reps–DBs will lower to ankles and only raise to knee height) (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Diagonal front lunges (Cathe is using 12# DBs)
- Barbell deadlifts (I used 60# BB)
- Repeat #1-3
- Drop squats off step (start standing on step and do a side squat off side of step) (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Wide leg barbell deadlifts (I used 60# BB)
- Rear cross-back/curtsy lunges, singles and pulses (Cathe is using one 15# DB)
- Repeat #1-3
4 thoughts on “Cathe Live: Booty Max”
I’m going to have to try this one. I recently subscribed to both of her apps (you helped me decide to try for the live spins), but since I have most of her dvd’s, might not keep that one. I’m curious why you purchase her live classes if you have the app? Was wondering what the benefit is. Thanks for all your reviews!!!
I only subscribed for 2 months in order to try the workouts that I was interested in buying and that 2 months ends March 22. I have too many other workouts I want to do to do primarily Cathe Live workouts. I don’t see the point of paying for something that I don’t use often. I will probably do this again some time in the future–subscribe again in 6-12 months then buy some more downloads that I like. But I agree. If I was a constant subscriber there would be no point in purchasing downloads.
That makes sense! Thanks for the reply!